Well at least I can clean my vent this weekend

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bcarton

Feeling the Heat
Oct 15, 2014
Pelham, NH
I could have bought two tons of pellets today for what I just spent to get my roof shoveled. It hurt to take that money out of the bank, but it was worth it. It took two guys 3.5 hours to clear my roofs of snow. Now I can safely do the LBT trick on the vent this weekend, which is just about due. That, and I feel a lot safer. This is a small portion of what came off the roof of the stove room - that pile is about 8 feet high.

roof4.jpg

Got a electric shovel blower for the project which seems to be about every 4 or so years. Great tool for steps too. If it gets more than 18 inches deep we start covering vents and thats a big hazzard.

I have a standing ridge metal roof, just wait a few days and it comes down with a WHOOMP.

Also, hope you guys warm up slow this spring

Got a electric shovel blower for the project which seems to be about every 4 or so years. Great tool for steps too. If it gets more than 18 inches deep we start covering vents and thats a big hazzard.
Hmmm....I've been thinking about taking my electric SnowJoe up onto the roof. I've got a 12/5 pitch, which makes it just a little tricky footing. I may have to rope in for safety.

Hmmm....I've been thinking about taking my electric SnowJoe up onto the roof. I've got a 12/5 pitch, which makes it just a little tricky footing. I may have to rope in for safety.
Hmm, I roped myself in to do a roof project once, then that fall ran up the ladder to clean the gutters and fell off. Went over backwards. Was lucky it was muddy, I squatted and rolled banged up my tail bone a bit but nothing broken, knocked the wind out of me. I think I got secure with that rope, then when I didn't have it went to lean into the rope and of course it wasn't there. Stupid like all accidents. It seems my adult kids have made my ladder disappear, probably just as well. But it got borrowed and somehow between 5 kids they don't know where it got to.

Reactions: chken
We built one of those this weekend. I was able to clear a 6 pitch 28'x28' roof from the ground in about 10 min. We had about 2' of snow on top, which made it a little challenging. One suggestion, wear a full rain suit. That roof he's clearing in the video is pretty small. When the snow comes down off of a large roof, it gains quite a bit of momentum and more often than not, hits you right in the chest.

I've got one sitting in the barn now for years, but don't get to use it much as we don't get the snow we used to. I don't think we have 1 foot total and than was in the past week.

Thanks for all the concern, I did put in eye rings on my chimney when I had it built so that I could rope in if necessary. Now, I need to get up to the chimney to hook in!

Status
Not open for further replies.