Well, did I get a good deal??? Update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lbcynya

Feeling the Heat
Oct 26, 2006
W Michigan
This is what staying up too late surfing fleabay will do...

Bought a spare control board for the XXV for $110 bucks plus shipping (seen prices as low as 143 to high of 230, plus shipping). Seems logical to have a spare since it will help eliminate chasing my tail if something wacky happens. I know, no warranty, but boards are pretty much like that. Plan to install the new one as primary and keep my current working board as back up. That way I can insure that the "new one" works as advertised and I have a working fallback.

Also, hearing a few stories about practically driving "cross country" to get a new board inspired me to not tempt the same fate.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120820272061?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Feel free to speak your mind. :)

To quote Widespread Panic, "It makes sense to me"

I'm going to start looking for a spare board as well.

My stove is my primary heat. Control board and igniter are not stock items at the local dealer. So I have spares. Good insurance IMHO. ;-)

Spare parts are a good thing. Have parts for my Quad and Englander. With the recent install of my Endurace, I will soon have parts on the shelf for it.

Always have a back-up plan. I know I always will. Whether we have power or not.

GrahamInVa said:
I'm 140 miles away from where my stove is made. I could drive it if need be. I always like a good excuse to take a ride on my motorcycle.

I'm with ya there, but your stove is gonna break down on the coldest, nastiest, snowiest day of the year when you need it most. lol

I love riding my bike, but I don't love it that much :)

76brian said:
GrahamInVa said:
I'm 140 miles away from where my stove is made. I could drive it if need be. I always like a good excuse to take a ride on my motorcycle.

I'm with ya there, but your stove is gonna break down on the coldest, nastiest, snowiest day of the year when you need it most. lol

Brrrrr. That makes me shiver thinking of it. 140 miles in cold weather ...YIKES.

jdempsey said:
76brian said:
GrahamInVa said:

Brrrrr. That makes me shiver thinking of it. 140 miles in cold weather ...YIKES.

au contraire... One word - Gerbings

Look it up. Good stuff. I ride all year, except when it gets REAL snowy. ;-P

DSC08516.jpg

spoke too soon. edited my mistakes. sorry. :red:

GrahamInVa said:

I've heard good things about it.

My problem is I hate wearing a ton of gear. I'll throw on a helmet, jacket, and gloves but that's as far as I'll go. I know I could extend my riding season by a month at least just by getting a windshield and some of their heated gloves.

Mind you, you're in VA, I know it doesn't get as cold and nasty there as it does here.

Ok, enough threadjacking from me. Love the bike though. I've been lusting after a beemer for a while now (the latest F800GS).

76brian said:
GrahamInVa said:

I've heard good things about it.

My problem is I hate wearing a ton of gear. I'll throw on a helmet, jacket, and gloves but that's as far as I'll go. I know I could extend my riding season by a month at least just by getting a windshield and some of their heated gloves.

Mind you, you're in VA, I know it doesn't get as cold and nasty there as it does here.

Ok, enough threadjacking from me. Love the bike though. I've been lusting after a beemer for a while now (the latest F800GS).

Yea, our snow never last long.. A week at best.

One of these days I am going to ride the James Bay road to the end and then take the North Road back. I was headed there this past summer but it didn't work out.. 2 little kids at home..

I want to do the Trans Labrador too... One day..

Ok, i'm done high jacking ... Carry on...

GrahamInVa said:
jdempsey said:
76brian said:
GrahamInVa said:

DSC08516.jpg

my dad would be proud of you....
he rode from 1947 till his 74th birthday in 2001
actually his last ride was the antique flat track race in Davenport Iowa in 2001
he just had his 85th bday
back in the day he did not even own a car until my oldest brother was 5 in 1952
this was in New York too, not down south
if you own it you ride it wherever you go he says

GrahamInVa said:
One of these days I am going to ride the James Bay road to the end and then take the North Road back. I was headed there this past summer but it didn't work out.. 2 little kids at home..

I highly recommend the DVD (or the book if you prefer) for "Long Way Round". Ewan MacGregor (from the Star Wars movies) and a buddy ride from London all the way to NYC. 19,000 miles through Europe, Russia, over the straights in a plane to Alaska and onward... They did it again from Scotland to the southern most tip of Africa, and called it "Long Way Down". Both are excellent at showing the trials and tribulations of a long adventure ride like that. I don't think I'll ever ride through to another continent, but would love to explore every inch of ours on two wheels. Someday maybe.

76brian said:
GrahamInVa said:

I highly recommend the DVD (or the book if you prefer) for "Long Way Round". Ewan MacGregor (from the Star Wars movies) and a buddy ride from London all the way to NYC. 19,000 miles through Europe, Russia, over the straights in a plane to Alaska and onward... They did it again from Scotland to the southern most tip of Africa, and called it "Long Way Down". Both are excellent at showing the trials and tribulations of a long adventure ride like that. I don't think I'll ever ride through to another continent, but would love to explore every inch of ours on two wheels. Someday maybe.

Seen em both!! :)

I'm on a site called ADV Rider.. Great site for this kind of stuff. www.advrider.com

lbcynya said:

Bought a spare control board for the XXV for $110 bucks plus shipping (seen prices as low as 143 to high of 230, plus shipping). Seems logical to have a spare since it will help eliminate chasing my tail if something wacky happens. I know, no warranty, but boards are pretty much like that. Plan to install the new one as primary and keep my current working board as back up. That way I can insure that the "new one" works as advertised and I have a working fallback.

Also, hearing a few stories about practically driving "cross country" to get a new board inspired me to not tempt the same fate.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120820272061?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

lbcynya,
Here's the deal. You bought this spare board to give yourself a little bit of "peace of mind". That alone has a value that nobody here can measure.
Therefore, when contemplating whether or not it was worth it at the time, you decided to buy it. In essence, you took out a scale, and on that scale you weighed all the pro's vs all the con's of buying this board, and obviously, the scale tipped in favor of the cons. Now, you come here to poll the audience as to whether this was a good deal.
Stop right there, sit back and enjoy the heat and rest better now knowing that if your board craps out, youre prepared!......
The "street value" of this circuit board is somewhere between $143-$225...but the value it has to you is much more than that.
From what I can see, you got a hell of a deal. Job well done.

johnnycomelately said:
lbcynya said:

lbcynya,
Here's the deal. You bought this spare board to give yourself a little bit of "peace of mind". That alone has a value that nobody here can measure.
Therefore, when contemplating whether or not it was worth it at the time, you decided to buy it. In essence, you took out a scale, and on that scale you weighed all the pro's vs all the con's of buying this board, and obviously, the scale tipped in favor of the cons. Now, you come here to poll the audience as to whether this was a good deal.
Stop right there, sit back and enjoy the heat and rest better now knowing that if your board craps out, youre prepared!......
The "street value" of this circuit board is somewhere between $143-$225...but the value it has to you is much more than that.
From what I can see, you got a hell of a deal. Job well done.

Haha, thanks. Mostly I was trying to ferret out any potential pitfalls from others experience... As long as the board is new and unused (born on date was November 2011), I think it's all good. I plan to install it straight away to insure all is good.

oldmountvernon said:
550 for a board for my stove. Safe to say im not shelling out that for a spare :) . If your board is that much you did better then good. Boy does that sound like an awful lot of $ too i guess the stove bought in parts might be around 10k lol

I heard the reason the AE board is so high is they borrowed it from the Space Shuttle. That's why the AE sometimes acts like the Space Shuttle. :)

Stay Warm,

AR

ARGlock said:
oldmountvernon said:
550 for a board for my stove. Safe to say im not shelling out that for a spare :) . If your board is that much you did better then good. Boy does that sound like an awful lot of $ too i guess the stove bought in parts might be around 10k lol

I heard the reason the AE board is so high is they borrowed it from the Space Shuttle. That's why the AE sometimes acts like the Space Shuttle. :)

Stay Warm,

AR

Just helped a buddy install a used Mt Vernon AE. Quiet, great heat, beautiful, but lots of wizzardry. Optical auger sensors, snap disks, hopper level prox sensors, pot cleaning motors, shuts down every couple hours... To each his own, but it makes my Harman look crude...just the way I like it! :)

Well, I posted this origionally because I assumed it was too good to be true and you know how that goes... I was hoping to get flames with everyone pointing out the pitfalls of my indescresion.

This transaction wasn't without a bit of drama. I received the package and the board I got was clearly used. Contacted the seller and he was adament that he sent me a new board, I respectfully disagrees and layed out my observations for him. I gave him the benefit of the doubt and said I wasn't suggesting that this wasn't anything but an honest mistake...especially since his feedback was perfect. He said he would replace it, so I sent it back.

Yesterday, mail came with my new package. Phew, brand spanking new board...factory sealed, made on 12/8/2011.

It gets better, for the trouble he threw in a brand new ESP probe, score!!!

Moral of the story - no risk, no reward AND treat people with respect and dignity in the face of adversity.

Status
Not open for further replies.