Well done video on kick back - thought it might be good for folks new to chainsaws

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
New and old alike. A lot of accidents happen when oldtimers get complacent.

After you feel a kick back a couple times I feel mussle memory just takes over.

I just purchased some 3/8" Woodlandpro chisel chains for my Rancher 55 after only running safety chains for several years. I was already a concerned with kickback and this video has me even more hyped up and studying/thinking things over a LOT.

Thanks for the reinforcement...

Ed

Intheswamp said:
I just purchased some 3/8" Woodlandpro chisel chains for my Rancher 55 after only running safety chains for several years. I was already a concerned with kickback and this video has me even more hyped up and studying/thinking things over a LOT.

Ed

Yes - good to be thinking about the forces acting on the saw during cuts. Glad it helped! Cheers!

Intheswamp said:

Ed

If you ever had a circular saw cutting lumber and it kick back on you its the same thing on a chainsaw(same feeling)....55 rancher not going to be a "big Kick if you will" safety chain or full chisel your not going to any harder kick, and need to be able to handle it with any chain you use.... all chains will keep back from time to time....

Jay, I once cut lumber for a fellow who cheated death. He was sawing lumber one day when a 2 x 10 or something like that got caught in the saw on the wrong side. It came back and took him square in the face! He laid unconscious for a long time and ended up having numerous operations but did live to tell about it. He may be the only man to have ever lived through that. Anyway, needless to say he gave me a long lecture before I cut the first log. btw, his face really looked awful even after all the surgeries but he was really a nice man to be around and he taught me a lot.

Backwoods Savage said:
Jay, I once cut lumber for a fellow who cheated death. He was sawing lumber one day when a 2 x 10 or something like that got caught in the saw on the wrong side. It came back and took him square in the face! He laid unconscious for a long time and ended up having numerous operations but did live to tell about it. He may be the only man to have ever lived through that. Anyway, needless to say he gave me a long lecture before I cut the first log. btw, his face really looked awful even after all the surgeries but he was really a nice man to be around and he taught me a lot.

More about mussle memory and dont try to push through a kick back. I have had lumber flying off the table saw like a bullit more than enough to make you crap your pants....

If you can practice this and safety gear you should be good to go.

smokinjay said:
Backwoods Savage said:

More about mussle memory and dont try to push through a kick back. I have had lumber flying off the table saw like a bullit more than enough to make you crap your pants....

Ya, just thing about that table saw and then imagine a 60" saw throwing some lumber!

Backwoods Savage said:
smokinjay said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Ya, just thing about that table saw and then imagine a 60" saw throwing some lumber!

in chainsaws the bigger the saw the easier it to manage. Never get a 880 coming back at your head with a 41inch bar. I feel more kick back with my 35cc 14 inch 192t but I am running it one handed. Something you just feel and respond on instinct. In noway is anyone ever going to be 100 percent safe with chainsaw or any saw. Learn how to deal with it safety chain no accuse not to be able to handle kick back.

Well said Jay.

smokinjay said:

That kickback looked pretty tame compared to what I personally experienced. Mind you, I'm sure he would not want to risk a leg demonstrating the full force. When you think about where the nose of the bar starts out to be and how fast it ends up beside your ear, it's scary fast! There is no time to think about what is happening.

LLigetfa said:
smokinjay said:

That kickback looked pretty tame compared to what I personally experienced. Mind you, I'm sure he would not want to risk a leg demonstrating the full force. When you think about where the nose of the bar starts out to be and how fast it ends up beside your ear, it's scary fast! There is no time to think about what is happening.

Yea just a good exercise if someone wants to get use to kick-back in a more controlled way. Once you have felt it a few dozen times you can react to it much quickier in real life.

I really appreciate all of your comments, I definitely hearing what ya'll are saying.

smokinjay, thanks for the circular saw kickback comparison...I can understand that. So the difference between kickback with a safety and a non-safety chain doesn't have anything to do with the intensity or strength of the kickback but rather the fact the non-safety chain will be more prone to kickback if conditions are "right" for kickback.

Protection...well, all I have so for is some ear plugs and a brand spankin' new pair of Husky Pro Forester wrap chaps that I got Friday in a care package from Bailey's. ;) I've still gotta figure out if I'm going with a hardhat or not...I'm thinking the a vest would be *really* nice.

Watching that video of the guy giving an example of kickback makes me wonder about something....a plunge cut. I'm not going to be trying one (a plunge cut) but what makes it possible to do one without getting kickback?

One more thing, smokinjay. You said "dont try to push through a kick back". Could you clarify that statement. I'm thinking that you're supposed to "guide" the saw away from you and not try to "hold it" in the place that it's trying to leave.

LLigetfa, that quickness that you mentioned is what bothers me. Referring to "There is no time to think about what is happening.", then I take it you must have the mindset of "it's going to happen, am I ready?" for each cut you make. Then when it does happen then it's more like "I've been looking for that"...

NH_Wood, thanks again for getting the video and for getting the conversation started!

Ed

Intheswamp said:
I really appreciate all of your comments, I definitely hearing what ya'll are saying.

smokinjay, thanks for the circular saw kickback comparison...I can understand that. So the difference between kickback with a safety and a non-safety chain doesn't have anything to do with the intensity or strength of the kickback but rather the fact the non-safety chain will be more prone to kickback if conditions are "right" for kickback.

Protection...well, all I have so for is some ear plugs and a brand spankin' new pair of Husky Pro Forester wrap chaps that I got Friday in a care package from Bailey's. ;) I've still gotta figure out if I'm going with a hardhat or not...I'm thinking the a vest would be *really* nice.

Watching that video of the guy giving an example of kickback makes me wonder about something....a plunge cut. I'm not going to be trying one (a plunge cut) but what makes it possible to do one without getting kickback?

One more thing, smokinjay. You said "dont try to push through a kick back". Could you clarify that statement. I'm thinking that you're supposed to "guide" the saw away from you and not try to "hold it" in the place that it's trying to leave.

LLigetfa, that quickness that you mentioned is what bothers me. Referring to "There is no time to think about what is happening.", then I take it you must have the mindset of "it's going to happen, am I ready?" for each cut you make. Then when it does happen then it's more like "I've been looking for that"...

NH_Wood, thanks again for getting the video and for getting the conversation started!

Ed

No problem Ed - glad it got you thinking. As they say, there is no small accident with a chainsaw. Cheers!

Intheswamp said:

Yes doesn't matter what chain you have on it can happen I have lots of different chains they all can kick back just be ready for it.(mussel memory really all thats needed) If you try to push through the kick back you will make it a much harder kick then what it needs to be. Just because the saw jumps is no big deal its if you force it hard back into the cut is going to kick much harder. Back off control the small kick start your cutt over

Ed

NH_Wood said:
As they say, there is no small accident with a chainsaw. Cheers!
Sure there are and I have the small scars to prove it. Anyway... the potential is there for any accident to be big so I don't really want to make light of the risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.