"Well Honey, I have my ways".

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

redmanlcs

Burning Hunk
Nov 20, 2017
West Virginia
I have no idea why I started this thread. Everyone has heard it before. They might not have noticed exactly, but their stove is telling them something. I would guess that a heating stove would have a very limited vocabulary.

Lets get to the point. Metal expands. It gets bigger as it gets hotter. As metal cools down, it contracts. This might not amount to much in the way of heating stoves, but on a large metal structure like a bridge, this expansion and contraction can amount to inches even feet. Here is your engineering and physics degree.

I have noticed throughout the years of heating with a stove the pinging, popping, cracking of my stove as i build the first fire of the morning, and as the metal contracts as the fire dies down in the evening or night. The sound is from the expansion and contraction of the metal as its temperature raises or falls. If my stove didn't make this sound, or was built differently, I would think it would warp or crack.

Here is the meat and potatoes. The other night me and my wife were sitting on the couch watching netflix and eating a mushroom and swiss bacon cheeseburger when all of a sudden my stove started making the usual popping and cracking. It was a low tone unlike the first fire of the morning, which is high pitched and goes from low to high in frequency, but this time the pitch was from high to low. This sound was my stove cooling down.

My stove was telling me: I'm cooling down. I need another piece of wood. At that very moment I realized a human and a tool were communicating, much like how a pet would communicate to its owner - through their own language. I told myself this would be a great opportunity to communicate with the wife. I looked over at her and said, "Honey, the fire is going out, could you load a stick of wood in it this time"? She replied, "How did you know the fire was going out"?..... Well honey I have my ways.

Yep, takes a while to learn the language, and each stove you try speaks a different language. ;)
Mushrooms you say?
That's what I was thinking...try Jalapeno cheese and see what the stove says. ==c

Reactions: Connecticut Yankee
Yep, takes a while to learn the language, and each stove you try speaks a different language. ;)
That's what I was thinking...try Jalapeno cheese and see what the stove says. ==c
I think the toilet would be talking with that.

I love hearing that "tink tink tink..." as the stove warms up in the morning.

I love the sounds my stove makes. I didn’t notice it with my last stove because of the loud blower it had.

I’ve noticed this too with my summit, I can tell sitting up stairs with the stove in the basement that it is cooling down during the cycle based on the ting ring tin noises it makes!

There is so much in the way of subconscious associations. I think of the linked picture below, and wonder what else there is going on:

https://www.moillusions.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/stumped-the-internet.jpg
Once you see it, you cannot un-see it.
A lot of times when I come in the back door I can tell what is going on with the stove just by sounds and smell alone. Hot stove, heating up, cooling down, all different.

Last edited:
I like the sounds my stove makes too. The sounds my chimney makes on the other hand have gotten me a bit uneasy at times.

I like the sounds my stove makes too. The sounds my chimney makes on the other hand have gotten me a bit uneasy at times.

I was going to post something similar. My Ventis chimney for my ZC fireplace runs through my bedroom. When my wife fixes the fire in the morning, the cracks and pops are enough to wake me up. I've also gotten some rather loud pops as the chimney goes from cold to operating temperature when starting a fire after a couple days or more of no burning.

As my 30NC heats up, the creaking and tapping noises that it makes are almost constant. It seems to cool down slowly enough that I don't hear noises from that process.

My cat gets me when its time to add more wood, I guess the stove talks to the cat and the cat talks to me. I better get out in public more lol

One of my dogs cries when the stove cools down.

Reactions: TWilk117
My cat gets me when its time to add more wood, I guess the stove talks to the cat and the cat talks to me. I better get out in public more lol
You must be running a cat stove, oui.... [emoji5]

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Reactions: TWilk117
Yes stoves and pipes make all sorts of noises when heating up and cooling down as well as the glass, and there has been more than one time when I heard the glass make an "expansion" noise that I didn't feel that sinking feeling and thought "PLEASE don't tell me that the glass cracked!"...but it doesn't, I have it snug but not tight so we should be good for more years.

But everytime I hear that I get that uneasy feeling! :eek: _g ;lol