Well, I got the Encore installed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackfre

Burning Hunk
Oct 3, 2011
N CA
This replaced an insert. Full oval Duraliner system in the flue. I Installed an 8" oval X 8" round tee and had to jack up the liner system to match the rear flue outlet pipe on the Encore. Little bottle jack under the system and it went right up. Up on the roof to remount the system hanger. Mounted the 1' length transition pipe and coaxed the stove back and the pipe went together pretty easily...amazingly! Everything looks good. Now, I need only one more thing. WOOD :)

Jackfre said:
This replaced an insert. Full oval Duraliner system in the flue. I Installed an 8" oval X 8" round tee and had to jack up the liner system to match the rear flue outlet pipe on the Encore. Little bottle jack under the system and it went right up. Up on the roof to remount the system hanger. Mounted the 1' length transition pipe and coaxed the stove back and the pipe went together pretty easily...amazingly! Everything looks good. Now, I need only one more thing. WOOD :)

Are you running and 8" liner or is it a 6" liner?

What was the insert that the Encore replaced?

Do you not have your wood ready?

Jackfre said:

Maybe in N Cali you have access to dry wood? Need to get on that ASAP or you'll have a dismal winter trying to burn wet or damp wood.
Oh, and where the heck are the pics? You know it didn't happen w/o those.......right? :coolsmile:

Is this the new 2-in-1 Encore? If so, will be interested in your impressions as you break it in and get it running. Congrats.

The previous stove was an Earthstove insert. It consumed vast qty's of wood and produced very little heat. Upon removal, it was apparent that the damper was so mis-shapen that there was little air control on it. I gave it to a friend who did not repair the damper and now he is getting no heat out of it. I was happy to find the 8" oval Dura-liner system in the flue. I had to get the 8" oval to 8" round tee, break out some more of the smoke shelf and rebend the oval flex piece to cast the tee correctly. I was concerned about this but the old DL flex acted like it was brand new.

My wood situation is that I have a great deal of it. All I have to do is go get it. Trees are down and cured, but some cutting and hauling is required. At this point the Encore is projected to be a back-up to my Rinnai Energysavers and my Fujitsu Mini-split heat pumps. That said, I expect that I will enjoy the Encore enough that it will gain usage as I get the wood to properly supply it;) I have my first fire today and it is just to cure things a bit. I will be installing a Tjernlund Air-Share to pump some heat into the back room. I tore out a complete gas furnace/AC system upon buying this place. In 45+ yrs in the business this place had the single most dangerous system I've seen. Stunning incompetence and lack of care for the people who were going to be blown up by the original installers.

The Encore installation is for one season only. I'm fix'in to blow out the back of the house come spring. dI have a fantastic view out the back of the house, but right now, to see it you have to stand and look kurt the laundry room window. New bathrooms, reposition the laundry and open up the first floor. The fireplace and masonry chimney will come down, that wall will push back about 8' and a new factory built chimney will be installed and the Encore will have a much bigger space to heat.

My stove is a 2550 model in Biscuit enamel. Nice piece, but I'm going to have to learn the catalytic wood stove operation.

I'll work on pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.