Well I Thought I Was Done

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
Hearth Supporter
Two days in the mid-nineties a few days ago and a couple after that in the seventies. Hauled the wood out of the basement back to the wood pile and cleaned the hearth. Now it has been 10C for two days and raining. 100% cloud cover and forecast to continue this way for several more days. Can't cut wood and it is cold in this joint. I finally gave in and made a trip to the woodpile and the 30 is rolling at 500 degrees.

Oh well... >:-(

PS: And the new outdoor cat is pacing the breezeway looking at me like this weather is all my fault.

Two days ago, we had a light dusting of snow in the morning, then it rained, then it hailed/snowed, then the sun came out and everything turned to fog, then it rain/hailed/snowed again. This morning it rain/snowed, now the sun's out. I've got the shop stove burning. Springtime in Central Oregon...ya never know. Rick

Yeah we are getting all that snow we missed this year as rain now. You lived here. You know what they say every five minutes on the radio "If this had been snow it would have been 12 feet!".

I am just praying it won't be a replay of last year. It rained from April to September. We were in a swamp all summer. I only got two cords cut and stacked because it was too muddy to get in and out of the woods.

It's in the 30's almost every night lately here. Light a fire and just let it burn out gives enough heat, but I'd prefer the air warm up a bit.

Of all the places I've ever lived, I've never seen rain like I saw in Northern Virginia. Sometimes I just could hardly believe it. I'd stand out under the eave and watch through a nearly solid curtain of water because my gutters were so utterly overwhelmed they just overflowed along their entire lengths. And the thunderstorms! Oh my, no, I'll never forget. Water (runoff) management and watching the weather became important parts of my life. For years, The Weather Channel was the last thing I watched every night before getting ready for bed. Rick

You guys are welcome to come up and suntan in my front yard. Snows gone in the field and another 20c+ day. Been like this for a week or so. The BK has gone to sleep for awhile. Been doing alot of chiller start ups this past weak and laying in the ground work on a few jobs.
N of 60

Hey North, I'm glad you are finally out of the deep freeze. I'll be the black flies are bad though. They were terrible here last week but yesterday and today I've hardly noticed them. Mosquitoes aren't thawed out yet but probably will within the next couple of weeks. There will be a bumper crop this year because of all the rain we've had. Oh well, both the wife and I have a ThermaCell so we can tolerate them.

north of 60 said:
...laying in the ground work on a few jobs.

How do you "lay groundwork" in frozen tundra? S of 45

No black flies. Just the big old lazy mosquitoes from last year hanging around. Theres no permafrost in the mountains. Gotta go up to Dawson city for that. Frost is down at 9 feet atthe present time.

north of 60 said:
Frost is down at 9 feet atthe present time.

Don't they have moving companies around there bro? Come on down! Defect. An exchange program don't ya see?

Not a chance BB. I escaped the rat race 10 years ago. Im in it for good. Get off your duff and see some of the country you fought for and enjoy it. :coolsmile: You would always be welcome. I tinks alot of people dont have an idea what its all about here. It aint Yellownife.
:)

north of 60 said:
Not a chance BB. I escaped the rat race 10 years ago. Im in it for good. Get off your duff and see some of the country you fought for and enjoy it. :coolsmile: You would always be welcome. I tinks alot of people dont have an idea what its all about here. It aint Yellownife.
:)

No moose herd in the back yard? :lol: I hear it is beautiful country. The only part of Canada I have seen was around Toronto when we went to the falls. Only Canadian I spent any time with was the one that came busting into our tent at the camp ground figuring that an old guy from the lower 48 wouldn't lie at the border about having a .44 mag with him. Surprise. Surprise. Couldn't turn him into the cops so I marched him over to the campground bathrooms and padlocked him in. And headed south. :cheese:

The snow's all gone finally and the frost is leaving the ground. My wood stack of rounds waiting to be split are still being moved by the frost. I've been waiting for the frost to settle in the area that I stack my outdoor piles. It has a large piece of mill dryer fabric that keeps the dirt off the wood.

I scrounged up a bunch of old pallets from work and got started laying them out in rows. Five pallets laid end to end and vertical pallets at the ends slipped over steel T-bar posts will hold two rows. I've got room for four rows of pallets with a foot of air space in between them, so 8 rows of wood. I haven't measured the lengths of the rows yet to calculate how much wood I can store in that footprint. In past years, I just loose piled them and they would not all fit on the chunk of mill felt. I still have last year's splits loose piled off to the side of the mill felt that I have to move into the shed once the ground dries up some.

It's still cool enough that I make a fire every evening, burning some of the Poplar and Aspen I culled off my land. I just burn a couple of splits at a time ant let it go out around bedtime.

LLigetfa said:
I scrounged up a bunch of old pallets from work and got started laying them out in rows. Five pallets laid end to end and vertical pallets at the ends slipped over steel T-bar posts will hold two rows. I've got room for four rows of pallets with a foot of air space in between them, so 8 rows of wood. I haven't measured the lengths of the rows yet to calculate how much wood I can store in that footprint.

Six pallets stacked sixty inches high is a good solid cord of wood per row.

BrotherBart said:
Six pallets stacked sixty inches high is a good solid cord of wood per row.
I guess I will have to put a crown on the stacks then.

Since it is May I thought for sure I would be done but needed to start a fire this morning to take the chill out of the house.

BrotherBart said:
No moose herd in the back yard? :lol: I hear it is beautiful country. The only part of Canada I have seen was around Toronto when we went to the falls. Only Canadian I spent any time with was the one that came busting into our tent at the camp ground figuring that an old guy from the lower 48 wouldn't lie at the border about having a .44 mag with him. Surprise. Surprise. Couldn't turn him into the cops so I marched him over to the campground bathrooms and padlocked him in. And headed south. :cheese:

OKAY...that was good for a Monday morning giggle.

And I'm still sticking to my date of July 5 for the cleaning date of my stove. That should be a safe bet. Of course thats about when N of 60 will be cranking his BK back up. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.