Well, I'm cooking with wood now!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.M2

Feb 3, 2008
WV
After waiting until late in the season to go with a wood stove, everything came together today.
I found a local company which kiln dries lumber that they shrink wrap and ship all over the country to places like Lowes.
This morning they delivered two dump truck loads of various hard wood pre-cut, pre-split, seasoned, and dry 16" logs to me which is between 5 and 6 cords for $430.
After covering the last load with a tarp until I can get it into the new shed I just built, I get a call from my stove guy and he showed up 2 hours later and fully installed everything.
I've got the coals, wood, vapors, secondary burn, the whole nine yards. I'm a very happy guy tonight!

Thanks to all of the posters on this web site who provide such truly useful information.

hey, congrats on your new stove & all that wood!

boy, that was really fast.

hope you're doing the 'break in' fires per your manual.

Is all your wood kiln-dried? I'm no expert by any stretch, just a newbie, and others on this site will know better, but I know my stove manual says don't burn KD exclusively (probably burns too hot), but I have a soapstone stone (Hearthstone Homestead), so I don't know if that makes a difference.

firegal

Good point firegal. I'm no expert either. When I first burned my stove I had to break it in. Manual advised lighting several fires. 1st fire not to rise above 200 degrees. 2nd fire not to rise 300 degrees. finally 3rd fire not to rise above 400 degrees... This was a few years ago... Maybe it was only 2 fires? Temps? Any way, definitely consult your manual if haven't already... May want to be mindful if your burning that kiln dried wood for a break in. Let us know how it goes! I have Jotul Castine.

I had the stove installed by a professional with 20+ years of experience. I didn't see anything in the manual about slowly working up to a full fire.
Even if that process is not required it is happening anyway as I become more proficient with my technique.
The stove is a Quadrafire 2100. I also have unseasoned dry wood which I'm working in the mix too.
As far as costs go, I've dumped $500 in fuel oil this season so far and would have needed to add another $500 to $600 in oil to get through the rest of the winter.
I've got several hundred acres with plenty of wood to choose from so future costs will be nearly zero. I only purchased wood this time since I had
such a late start.

Status
Not open for further replies.