Well, its re-installed properly!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

burntime

Aug 18, 2006
C'mon hunting season!
I cleaned the liner and removed my hampton insert. I insulated the 6 inch liner with a kit, new block off plate, new top seal, insulated around the liner and the block off plate and topped it off with a stainless steal cap. Now I can sleep well at night knowing that its done right because I did it! No more heat loss around the liner and out around the cap. It had a lot of air coming out. The liner should stay cleaner longer too. My biggest concern is that I am a 24/7 burner and the chimney would heat up, heat the attic, and cause ice damning on the roof. I think all the problems should be solved now. Anyone have an idea how much more heat will remain in the house?

burntime said:
...Anyone have an idea how much more heat will remain in the house?

A bunch. Maybe 2 3/5 fringles. Rick

Congratulations burntime. You should see a fairly nice change in heat output from the insert. How much? You'll have to tell us. Are you noticing the stove drafts nicer with fall burning?

Have had it going for 2 days the old way and literally am taking a break from cleaning up so have not lit it. Its 60 in WI right now and I am leaving for PA for work for a week so unless the wife lites it I will not know until Friday night. 2 3/5 fringles hey? Not bad for 6 hours work! :lol: I can say with the utmost certainty that kaowoll or rock wool leaves glass in your hands! Best part is now I do not have to insulate around the insert face so more heat will get to the living area.

Shouldn't need to insulate your hands for a while, either. %-P Travel safely! Rick

Aha, I see you are familiar with the 3m spray adhesive!!! :lol: Any idea in normal measurement terms and not frinkles how long it take for 900 degree silicone sealer to dry before firing up the insert?

Dunno fer sure...read the can. Doesn't really "dry", it "cures". I think I'd give it at least 24 hours before subjecting it to more than about 1/2 frinkle. Getting it off your hands is a different story. Rick

Believe it or not it was water soluable. Oh, and says danger, do not ingest, breath, or contact skin. Of course I read it after I was covered. Hopefully I can still father children and make it to my 60th birthday after exposure. The 3m spray for the liner was like being tar and feathered for sure and wins hands down to the caulk!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.