1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Well I've been busy... (pic heavy)

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by jeffesonm, Apr 22, 2013.

1. jeffesonm

jeffesonm Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    central NJ
    This year was my first year burning. Fortunately I had about 2 cords of various wood C/S/S from trees down over the past few years so it wasn't too bad, but I wanted to get ahead of the game. I was too busy scrounging/cutting/splitting/stacking to post much on here, so here's what I've been up to...

I lucked out with Sandy and lost just one tree, a small mostly standing dead locust nowhere near the house. The lady next door lost about 5 huge oaks, two good sized beech, an ash and a small maple. She is a bit older and converted to a gas fireplace so it's all mine for the taking! Not 200 yards from my house, accessible by pickup and back in the woods where no one else goes...

One of the oaks...

[​IMG]

A few more oaks...

[​IMG]

And the beech trees...

[​IMG]

Bringing back the beech...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The oak I started to stack in the woods... figured no reason to move it twice, plus I'm seriously running out of space up by the house.

[​IMG]

While slowly working on those oaks I found a CraigsList ad for a guy wanting two smaller apple trees cut up. Turns out they were also taken out by Sandy and he had already cut off all the small branches with his electric chainsaw and just needed someone to finish the job. They were right next to his driveway so easy pickins.

[​IMG]

Back to the homestead ready to be split.

[​IMG]

Not long after I came across another CL ad for a guy who had a big ash tree down in his backyard. Well turned out it was a big old black walnut... felt kind of bad cutting it up, someone probably should have made it into lumber or turning blanks. But oh well, into the stacks it goes...

[​IMG]

And then there was an ad on CraigsList for someone about 5 miles from my house who had a bunch of trees down on their property and just wanted someone to help cut up the wood. Well it turns out there were probably 20 ash trees of various sizes and I could back the truck up right next to them, and in one case, right under one! So every few days I'd go back over and fill up another pickup load. Caretaker said I could just leave the small branches and he'd push them into the woods with the tractor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Doesn't get much easier than that!

Guy also had a few smaller cherries and a locust or two I helped myself too.

[​IMG]

And so here are the fruits of my labor. First, an aerial shot from the roof of the stacks up near the house. Got some epdm rubber roofing for the tops of the stacks and my mini wood shed on the right there. Wooden thing is the jig for cutting the old stuff down to stove size. Still working down that pile of ash rounds.

[​IMG]

Ash in progress.

[​IMG]

In the stacks.

[​IMG]

Out towards the back... my little logging path in the middle and if you look close you can see some stacks out in the woods. Lots of shade but I'm on the top of a hill so I do get some good wind through here.

[​IMG]

A better shot of the oak stacks out in the woods.

[​IMG]

Tried to do a panoramic with my phone, but they're spread across such a wide area it's hard to get them all.

[​IMG]

Based on this first year I think I'll burn about 2-3 cords per year. I figure all this ash and cherry should hold me over for a few years until all that oak out back dries out. I think between the stuff by the house and the stuff in the woods I've got to have 10+ cords, not counting the special delivery I got today. My better half is starting to worry about this obsession hobby but then I reminder of the 600 gallons of oil we didn't burn this winter :)

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. paul bunion

paul bunion Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NJ
    Got your self a bunch of nice looking stacks of wood there. Not buring 600 gallons of oil is a huge savings. Small word of advice, stacks against trees have a way of falling over if the wind starts pushing the trees around.
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  3. Beer Belly

Beer Belly Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Connecticut
    HOLY CRAP !
  4. lumbering on

lumbering on Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    New York
    Very impressive.
  5. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    I'd say the soccer Scoooore! but would run out of room for the post :)
    You've been busy.
    Feels good to be 3+ years ahead , eh?

Now what are you gonna do? Hope you don't have withdraws ?
    Looks like a little cutting out there to do yet ;)

Great pictures
    Very nice set up
  6. Seanm

Seanm Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    SE BC Canadian Rockies
    Thanks for posting the pics, very enjoyable to view. I love the tree over your truck box. Man you must have been grinning bucking that one up. Were you able to keep backing the truck up as you dropped rounds into the bed?
  7. blacktail

blacktail Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western WA
    That beech sure is pretty wood.
  8. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    It may be wrong to say so . . . but you have some great looking wood there.
    zap and Trilifter7 like this.
  9. jeffesonm

Loc:
    central NJ
    I think the stove will have paid for itself in the first year. Next year will cover the chainsaws and chimney liner and then I'll be in the plus column. I did have one long stack between two trees fall already, so I've been been more careful about making sure the base is level and not stacking them so high or spanning such a big distance between trees.
    Well can't let the gas in the saw go bad so I'm sure I'll keep cutting There is one big oak left next door to cut, and I still have a bunch to split and stack back there. Also a standing dead locust in the front yard I should probably take down before it takes itself down somewhere I don't want.
    Huge grin on my face, and yup, just kept backing it up. Figured no one but you guys could really appreciate that.
  10. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    Jeff, when I began reading, my first thought was that this would make you a prime candidate for the "You Suck" club.
    By the time I finished reading, you're a shoo-in.
    So, officially, you suck. It's a term of endearment. We love ya', man.:cool:
    Nice scores, and a good plan. When you get more, post the pics, please.
    This is the stuff that doesn't get old or boring.
    Backwoods Savage and zap like this.
  11. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

Very nice work.
  12. USMC80

USMC80 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Jersey
    Great pics! You've been hard at work for sure.
  13. thewoodlands

I just spit my coffee out after reading the U Suck club remark.!!!
  14. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Super scores, and great work. :cool:
    Keep an eye on those stacks in the woods; When the wind comes up and the trees start blowing around....
  15. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    zap, many here belong to that club. It's meant in jest.
    If I offended, I apologize.
  16. jeffesonm

Loc:
    central NJ
    No offense taken, all in good fun.
    PapaDave likes this.
  17. thewoodlands

No, I knew what you meant. What would NH say, Cheers.
  18. ChrisNJ

ChrisNJ Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Burlington County
    Geez your a wood processing madman, looks great, and I would love to get some of that Beech, how does it split? Smooth I am thinking.
  19. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Man - looks like you have this wood get'in thing figured out. Nice job.
  20. jeffesonm

Loc:
    central NJ
    Cat is enjoying the new stove too..

[​IMG]
    zap likes this.
  21. TimJ

TimJ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeast Indiana
    jeffesonm, you got er done and your gettin er done
    good job
  22. Applesister

Applesister Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    Great pics, Jeff, thanks for sharing! the panoramic shot shows a really nice looking woodlot. And a great view. Looks like all hand split. I like seeing the stacks in the woods, it seems to have an old world fairy tale charm.
    I paid 3.90 gallon so at my cost for fuel 600 gallons @ 3.90 = 2340.00 in savings.
    Great looking pickup truck too!
  23. Blue2ndaries

Blue2ndaries Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Oregon
    Wow, that's some nice work. Will definitely pay dividends in years to come, not to mention peace-o-mind knowing you are ahead.
  24. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Ahhh, blessed heat! ==c
  25. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Jeff, those pictures really tell some stories. I too admired how you backed that truck right under the ash. Nice touch! I also like the woods because it appears you don't have a lot of low brush to contend with so easy to get to the wood.