Well looks like im finished splitting wood for awhile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You can come help me. I got plenty more to split and no snow here...yet anyway. Enjoy your break haha

I'm in the same boat, I have about 4 truck loads to split, and now its all buried in snow! (Only 2 truck loads are by the stacks).

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    271.9 KB · Views: 181
Didn't let it stop me..............took the tractor and a cart and split and stacked 7 cart loads over the last two days.
hands got a little cold :cool:

Few inches of snow are one thing,
When there's so much you have slip & slide & other safety issues,
waiting for Spring is a good idea ;)

I wouldn't let that little bit of snow stop me. I'll be out cutting again tomorrow. But, of course we have very little snow. But the snow has to get deep before I stop.

Reactions: ScotO
If it was an inch or two i wouldnt mind splitting but there is a foot on the ground now with daily temps mostly in the 20s

I cut and split year round. the only time I don't do it is when it's howling windy outside or a cold driving rain. I've cut in downpours in the summer before, yes that is miserable but bearable. But not when its cold and rainy.

Snow won't stop me. Matter of fact, that's the ONLY time I process wood on my neighbors farm. I have the snowmobiles and my homemade sleigh to get the wood out and it does it very well.........I love the snow!

I am somewhat tough about this stuff, but I have my limits. My parents thought it was way too cold today at 35 degrees and 10 mph winds, but I talked my dad into coming out anyway. Halfway through the job, I asked him if he was cold. His response, "I am so hot I am sweating." My response, "I told you so."

With that said, there is a time and place for everything for me. I used to be hard core at hunting, and pushed myself in the bitter cold one time when I was run down. Result, walking pneumonia. That was when I was 30. Now that I am 41, I have a little more sense. Rain, bitter cold, snow, etc., there are better things to do inside the house versus splitting wood, or maybe I'll go out hunting. lol Got bronchitis when I was 17 because I was too naive to stop riding the bicycle when I was sick because I didn't want to miss any races. Yeah, missed pretty much the entire season because of it.

Not knocking those of you that cut, split, stack in the worst weather possible, but my passion for that stuff isn't that high. I can bill hours inside in the warmth created from the firewood that I cut under optimal weather conditions, while I dream of better weather to go outside and pursue my passions again. Oh yeah, have a trainer and powermeter for pedaling the bike during the cold months.

I don't process my wood once there are several inches of snow on the ground for several reasons.

1) The slipping and siding and not being able to see exactly what is hidden under the snow while bucking up the wood.

2) I find it harder going in the snow in terms of walking and moving along the tree.

3) Perhaps most important . . . when there is enough snow on the ground I'm hitting the trails with the sled to get in some serious riding . . . by the time Spring rolls around and the snow is melting I'm ready to go back into the woods.

That said . . . to each their own . . . many folks prefer and love working in the woods in the winter. Working a month or two in the woods cutting pulp wood after college was enough cold and snow for me to last a life time.

If it was an inch or two i wouldnt mind splitting but there is a foot on the ground now with daily temps mostly in the 20s

But that foot of snow settles a lot in just a few days. Temperature in the 20's is not bad for wood cutting. We had a break today when it got to 32. Had to take the coat off for sure.

Grab a shovel grab some boots grab a beer and go to town ! Snow Shmo I say ;)

Pete

I love working in the snow, just have to be more attentive to slippy conditions and unseen hazards. Plus woman think it's sexy splitting shirtless.

Status
Not open for further replies.