We'll see what all the fuss is about (Somersets)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

harttj

Dec 16, 2008
Ohio
Picked up some Somersets this morning at Menards for $179/ton. I could have got them for $174 a couple of weeks ago, but it just didn't work out. If anyone is interested the Menards in Oregon OH has 20+ tons of Somersets and what looked like 20+ tons of MagicSpark. These are all sitting outside, but under a large overhang.

I'll be interested to see if I notice a difference.

Tim

Great price!! I'd be all over those if they were that price in my area.

Don't forget to post this in Fuel Reports section.

Picked up some Somersets this morning at Menards for $179/ton. I could have got them for $174 a couple of weeks ago, but it just didn't work out. If anyone is interested the Menards in Oregon OH has 20+ tons of Somersets and what looked like 20+ tons of MagicSpark. These are all sitting outside, but under a large overhang.

I'll be interested to see if I notice a difference.

Tim

We use somersets too and I saw that price at menards also. We don't have the room otherwise I would get some. We paid 220 in sept from a local hardware store. we have tried other pellets and they have burned the warmest and cleanest in our stove.

i know that store, i live down the road

Well, the verdict is still out for me. I had been burning magic spark. I started these a few days ago. I noticed smoke from the chimney and black soot accumulating. I checked inside and the burn pot looked good but sides were black. I turned the air up and the smoke was better later in the day.

Not really sure why I need more air with these. Also it was going into high mode where it wasn't with the m.s pellets, indicating less heat than the other pellets.

A little disappointed so far. My chimney needs a good washing now.

Tim

This was my first season burning Magic Spark/Pro Pellets on a regular basis. I don't want to be accused of blasphemy, but I don't notice a whole lot of difference between Magic Spark/Pro Pellet and Somerset. The price difference is $28/ton more for Somerset than MS/PP at my dealer, so we're not talking a huge price difference between the two. I have yet to see a box store carry the Sets on the west side of Michigan, but the Sparks show up at Menards once in a while. Meijer has Pro Pellets every now and again but their prices are higher than the hearth shop.

Pretty sure that MS/PP are going to be my pellet of choice going forward. Unless Menards around here starts carrying the Sets for $175 a ton.

Status
Not open for further replies.