Well tile for storage tank

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Willman

Minister of Fire
Jan 15, 2008
Sabattus Maine
Heres my storage plan.Talked to the local pre cast dealer in Auburn Maine today. Well tiles are available in 3 and 4 foot diameters. Heights are 18", 3', 4'.
Gallon capacity's for 4' x 4' is 94 gal. per ft. for a total of 376 gals. for $165.00 which works out to 44 cents a gal. 3' x 3' is 65 gals. per ft. total of 195 gals, cost $133.00. 3'x4' as well as 4' x 3' are available. Covers with manhole 3' $62.00, 4' 82.00. 4 x 4 weighs in @ 1200 lbs. ea. 3x3 is 800 lbs. Tiles are fiber reinforced for rust free strength.

I figure to pour a 6" thick insulated and reinforced slab and stack 3 or 4 high of the 4 x4 s for approx. 1128-1500 gal.(not sure of head space requirement) A lot less $ and weight than a septic tank. Easier install also.Wrap the exterior in multiple layers of 1/2" foam board with overlapping seams.

I will pick up some of the polypro that Sparke got and wrap it inside. One vertical seam. Tank bottom coated with a product from Abatron. 300* working temp, use it to attach poly to the sides too. Abatron also has high strength and temp epoxy for joints between tiles and cover. It seems like a better deal than used propane tanks if they are available. No rust issues or propane smell or explosion danger cutting and welding.

Penetrations for piping should be easy with a core bit, The only issue would be to seal the access door but still be able to get in for any possible service.
Any thoughts or missing pieces to this plan ?
One more thing, these prices will be increasing 8% in 3 weeks or so, Whats new.

Will

Ya I got some advice... Take some pics so we can see your project!!! :) The slab is just to rest on? Is it going to be buried?

Well, I am also interested in your project. Mainers come up with some cool ideas.

The slab is just to rest on? Is it going to be buried?

Yes the slab will support the tiles, I am toying with the idea of wet setting the first tile for additional sealing as well as support. I want to bury 3 tiles and maybe have one above floor. Pics will be posted. Still in planning stage.
Will

Suggestion: pay really close attention to insulation and keeping the insulation dry. You're dealing with MUCH higher temperature differences than you have with your attic, and that's supposed to have 15" of insulation. I think it would be hard to ever have too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.