well.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
just got a letter in the mail from my stoves dealer.

Instant heat: $225
Allegheny: $235
Energex: $235

It says they are not offering New england wood pellets this year due to quality issues from this past season.

I have burned both the Instant Heat and the Energex hardwoods. The edge goes to the Energex. I have a couple of bags of the Allegheny, But have not burned them. So I can't comment on them.

Energex gets my vote. But the Allegheny have me curious and would give them a try at least.

What's there schedule for P/U or delivery? Maybe you could get some of each and try them in the fall. If there is an issue with a brand maybe they can let you trade up???? I say this because it's a bit warm to try them now. Most dealers will work with you if there are issues, Hate to see you stuck with iffy pellets!

well, they don't deliver...since they are about 40 minutes away, and all I can get is about 30 bags in my van. So i'll probably pass on them. Hopefully I can get dry creek or lignetics again even though they are about $50 more, atleast they deliver....
I thought about woodpellets.com but all I can get is New england pellet ( clean fire)

For $50 bucks less I would be getting at least some of the energex. All 3 produce pretty much the same amount of heat IMO.

What quality problems were there with NEWP? I burned 200 bags from the N.H. plant and they were fine . Are you talking about the pellets from the N.Y. plant?

yes from the Ny plant

I called the place I got dry creek last year and they have them at $234.50 they delivered last year ( forgot to ask what their delivery charge is, shoot)

NEWP's NY plant has there latest batch very close to NH plant.

With the Dry Creeks being the cleanest burning of the bunch and they had good heat too. Probably your best bet if the delivery is fair?

What are they getting for the Lignetic's??? Have any luck finding Okies or Cubex near you????

At least you have choices, Some peeps are only able to get fair brands with high prices in certain area's.

I called the place I got lignetics from (agway) a couple weeks ago, and they were still $279. IMO the dry creeks were better for my stove than the lignetics were last season..

chrisasst said:
I called the place I got lignetics from (agway) a couple weeks ago, and they were still $279. IMO the dry creeks were better for my stove than the lignetics were last season..

Gotta go with the stove then(Nice that it likes the cheaper priced fuel). I to though the Dry Creeks did pretty good! They have been around for a long time and seem to keep a steady pellet.

If you get a chance, Try some energex(a few bags anyway) and let me know what you think of them? Good to have extra info about how other think of them.

my fault..... I have used energex, they were ok I guess, lots of ash if I recall.

chrisasst said:
my fault..... I have used energex, they were ok I guess, lots of ash if I recall.

Let me guess, The one with the Eagle on the bag(Energex American)? I can't get them(Eagle bags), But have read they were pretty ashy. How was the heat???

Energex bags a few different hardwoods AFAIK.

yes the eagle bagged ones. The heat out of my stove with them is comparable with instant heats.

chrisasst said:
yes the eagle bagged ones. The heat out of my stove with them is comparable with instant heats.

Sounds to me that since the Instant heats give less ash than the Energex you have available, they burned w/ the same heat, and the price is $10 cheaper/ton, the Instant heat is the way to go (boy, can I state the obvious, or what? :lol: )

imacman said:
chrisasst said:

Sounds to me that since the Instant heats give less ash than the Energex you have available, they burned w/ the same heat, and the price is $10 cheaper/ton, the Instant heat is the way to go (boy, can I state the obvious, or what? :lol: )

never been a fan of the Instant Heat. The first 2 tons I got were full of dust and long pellets. Heat output was lower compared to NEWP. I know NEWP isn't an option here, but kinda surprised that Instant Heat are getting fair comments here; where I think they are junk.

I can deliver Cubex to Cortland for $247 per ton but it would have to be an order of 4 tons due to the distance. If your interested let me know. Then again if you have a pellet you can get and you know it works might want to stick with it. Dry Creek from what I hear makes a consistent pellet year after year plus its good to buy from local businesses. We offer the long distance delivery to give people more options.

thanks, If I had used cubex before I would take you up on that deal, but I know nothing about them or how well they would do in my stove.

chrisasst said:
thanks, If I had used cubex before I would take you up on that deal, but I know nothing about them or how well they would do in my stove.

Cubex is, without much of a doubt, one of if not THE best pellets you can get. If that price is within your budget, GET THEM!!! If Jay Takeman chimes back in again, I'm sure he'll agree. Take a look at his testing results:

www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/50101/

The highest heat output of any pellet he tested, and one of the lowest in ash.

Meneillys Woodland Products said:
I can deliver Cubex to Cortland for $247 per ton but it would have to be an order of 4 tons due to the distance. If your interested let me know. Then again if you have a pellet you can get and you know it works might want to stick with it. Dry Creek from what I hear makes a consistent pellet year after year plus its good to buy from local businesses. We offer the long distance delivery to give people more options.

I sent you a PM

imacman said:
chrisasst said:

Cubex is, without much of a doubt, one of if not THE best pellets you can get. If that price is within your budget, GET THEM!!! If Jay Takeman chimes back in again, I'm sure he'll agree. Take a look at his testing results:

www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/50101/

The highest heat output of any pellet he tested, and one of the lowest in ash.

chrisasst,

One of the best burning pellets in my stove to date. I am paying $240 and hauling myself. So the price is very good with delivery.

If you decide to get some please post how they do for you? But I bet they do very good in your stove. Hotter than lignetics with a cleaner burn.

Have you tried any Okies or other softwoods yet???

I haven't tried okies. I have very limited choices around here, and no truck to go searching for any. I believe I tried a softwood, I think it was the rockies ( can't remember what they were called, from TSC) they were no better.

Status
Not open for further replies.