wellington boots

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

toonces

Nov 7, 2011
Farmington Valley, CT
i'm thinking about ditching my 'winter boots' which are too cramped in the toe as well as letting my hiking boots be hiking boots again. in their place, thinking about some wellington-style steel-toe boots but am not sure if they can be worn under pant legs. i'd like that so wood chips and other debris don't take residence in my shoes. anyone know if that'll work with the likes of Dickies and Carrhart work pants? thanks!

Bought a pair of Dickies pants from TSC in the winter, good heavy pants [gonna sweat my nards off in summer] but every single button has fallen off. Seems like they don't like sewing buttons in China. Have always bought Carhart, but now I wait for them to go on sale...getting too expensive for me.

My feet are too wide for most steel toe boots. I do have comfortable Red Wings and hiking boots, so I was thinking of getting a pair of steel toe over shoes like the Tingley PVC Workbrutes:
tingely-pvc-steel-toe-overshoes-1938.jpg

Anybody ever try them?

Unless you wear 80's style jeans that are "pegged and super tight fitting in the shin and ankle area, wellington style boots will easily wear under your pants. I wear them just for the reason you mention, no more saw chips in my boots.

My feet are too wide for most steel toe boots. I do have comfortable Red Wings and hiking boots, so I was thinking of getting a pair of steel toe over shoes like the Tingley PVC Workbrutes:
Anybody ever try them?

Speaking of Red Wing boots, they now offer several styles with wider toes. They call theirs "King Toe". I think some other manufacturers are doing the same now as well.

Personally, I never liked Wellington boots under pants. The tops are too wide and they are too short to keep my pants from riding up on them. But they work for some people just fine.

That's the only kind of boots i wear anymore....i'm done with lace up boots. No issues with jeans whatsoever. I have some waterproof Wolverines that are great.

great, thanks for the input!

i'm always in the market for budget work pants and have had good luck with Dickies original work pants, but some of their other styles don't seem to be of the same breed. a couple pairs i purchased last fall had lots of loose thread. the pant's weren't coming apart at the seams, but tons of cut ends falling off. i hemmed them and have used them extensively all winter and they're still good. i really like the fit of these pants so we'll see if they last.

I wear a Western style boot under Dickies pants day-in and day-out. My current pair are Wolverines and they have lasted 2 years on my feet, which is a first for ANY boot I've had.

Status
Not open for further replies.