Went mushroom hunting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TimJ

Minister of Fire
Apr 10, 2012
Southeast Indiana
For dead red elm..................found 4 of them to start with at least 6 inches in diameter. Enough for about 2 days worth of burning out of each one of them. Then I found the father and mother and uncle of these red elm. I have discovered I have at least 3 live red elm that are at least 18 to 20" diameter and about 50 feet tall. They really get a aged looking bark on them when they get that big.

Me too, I can't see the mushrooms for the trees. I'd love to come across even a 4' morrel.

Me too, I can't see the mushrooms for the trees. I'd love to come across even a 4' morrel.

My BiL comes across them quite often since he cuts wood for a living, they're great with a touch of butter on the grill.

found some sulphur shelf (chicken of the woods) today but it was way too old, No morels this past spring, but should be finding oysters soon

morels and sulfur shelf are my faves! Love dippin them both in egg/cracker batter and frying them in the skillet! Didn't get many morels from my one buddy this past spring (it was a bad season for them), and I didn't get any sulfur shelfs either....

The meadow mushrooms are all over the place here now, but you GOTTA be careful because they look alot like Angel of Death.

Reactions: Thistle
Found these 4 weeks ago a day after a 4 inch rain.Biggest amount in 2 months,within a week the ground was bone dry again....Didnt pick them,after closer inspection though I have in the past.... Not bad in a light batter w/ chopped onions & sweet peppers ;) Had a small Morel harvest in late April-May,quite a few nice ones at first,then nothing after that.Better than 2011,not a single one found,everyone I talked to around here had the same results.

Hopefully 2013 will be better.

Attachments

• PICT0011.JPG
    PICT0011.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 120
Reactions: ScotO
locally this was a pretty good year for golden chanterelles. i brought home 2 plastic grocery bags full twice a week for 3 weeks. the intention was to hopefully saute and freeze some but we ended up eating ALL OF THEM.

Reactions: ScotO
morels and sulfur shelf are my faves! Love dippin them both in egg/cracker batter and frying them in the skillet! Didn't get many morels from my one buddy this past spring (it was a bad season for them), and I didn't get any sulfur shelfs either....

The meadow mushrooms are all over the place here now, but you GOTTA be careful because they look alot like Angel of Death.

Have done that with oysters too...yummy. No winter = no morels here.
Homey don't play soil gill mushrooms :eek:
('cept chanterelles)

Status
Not open for further replies.