Went Out To Do Some Splitting Tonight...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ponyboync

Jul 12, 2009
NC
and ended up doing some plumbing instead. Carried a good sized round over to the splitting log and dropped it on the ground in preparation of putting some 16 lb. maul action on it. But when I dropped it water started coming out of the ground. It turns out the water line to the house was directly under the splitting log and it had been backfilled with rocky dirt and dropping the round on the wet ground was enough to break the line. Two trips to Lowes and five hours later we have water again. Time to go to bed. I'll try splitting again tomorrow in another spot.

WOW! That is a crazy way to find out where your water line is. Must have been pretty shallow too? What a crappy day. Time for a beer and a cozy fire.

My water line is buried 8 feet deep to be below the frost. No chance of damaging it.

Wow, what terrible bad luck!

Yikes...what are the odds of that happening.

JoeBtfsplk.jpg

That's my kind of luck.

Was that from a well or a town line? Were you able to shut it down?

Better it happened when you were there.

I'd be talking to the plumber who made that install and I can't believe a building inspector would approve a line installed in a way that would break so easily (round hitting the ground).

Surely it wasn't copper - maybe poly. Did it give at a joint? Very strange.

I had a house that had the polybutl lines (the shell oil class action suit blue pipe). The house settled and the service line went under the slab and basement wall out to the street. The settlement caused pulled on a nylon connector and we sprung a leak. I tried to follow the water to the leak - and it was impossible to trace - as water will go where it wants to and the line was a good 8 feet down. I gave up on that.

We simply ran a new service line with copper! Problem solved.

Yeah I was a little disappointed with the plumber. The line was less than a foot deep and like I said backfilled with poor material. I was able to shut the line off at the water meter...it is county water.
Oh well, we survived. Just gonna move to a new splitting spot.

Eh wood spliter, just wondering about your handle. Is it that "splitter" wasn't available or does "spliter" have some special meaning. I've seen it used in other context as splitter/splicer.

What a crap install that's what you get when the local utilities hire subs and pay them by the number of jobs done in a day.

LLigetfa said:
My water line is buried 8 feet deep to be below the frost. No chance of damaging it.

+1 but poplar tree roots got mine a few years back on xmas eve!

LLigetfa said:

Same here. & sometimes I still worry when no snow on the ground.

Sorry to hear the water line broke. What a mess. But you got it fixed.
Good job & saved buku $$ on a plumber's bill.
You can go buy yourself something now with all the money you saved by doing it yourself.
New chain for the saw, square gas can like quads has :), or 12 pack of MGD (for after the wood is split ;) )

Status
Not open for further replies.