Went stove shopping today.. Hearthstone- Opinions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

njtomatoguy

Feeling the Heat
Jun 20, 2006
Maple Shade, NJ
I had the opportnity to be out in an area with 2 competing stove stores today. Went to the first one, was greeted by the MGR, offered any assistance, etc. FELL IN LOVE WITH A STOVE LINE. I currently have a CFM that I got at Lowes, and installed myself. It serves it's purpose, but I want a Hearthstone. BAD!!!
Probably going to get the Heritage, in Black High Gloss Enamel.
I'm the type of person that once I set my mind to something, it's basically done. I am going to work any and all OT to get this stove. I could buy it today, but I would prefer to save towards a goal than just blow a portion of the money I have worked so hard to save, even though this would be an "excellent investment". The mgr said they move floor models to change displays, etc. I told him I was not going to do this right away, and he was still great. He's got my business!

Experience with Hearthstone Stoves anyone?

Stove shop # 2.
Wandered thru the whole store, asked the 2 ladies that worked the if they carried soapstone. she walked me over to lopi steel stoves, handed me a brochure, and left.

So, anybody wanna chime in on Hearthstone?

Thanks sweep- I understand that!
Going from CFM 24007 to the heritage is going to be like going from an old bomb car to a new caddy-lac!!! The hardwood flooring project is on hold, I am measuring my hearth now vs what I will need for the Heritage.

More info.

I hate to pay the electric co. I want to absolutely minimize my my bill, and thus the hold they have on me. I need about a 10 hr window of leaving to when I return that I can feel confident that the house will be comfortable. It's just me and 2 dogs now, so it doesn't have to be a steady 78 all day. I feel that soapstone is the way to go. I am heating approx 1200 sq feet, with fair insulation, and storm windows. I do plan to insulate the floors in the crawlspace this year. Attached is an exterior phot of the house. It is small, but has vaulted ceilngs, so I have a lot of "dead air". I put in a ceiling fan in the Kitchen/LR about 2 weeks ago, and the difference is amazing.

HIGHBEAM- If you read this, NICE WORK on your Heritage!!

House and car for scale

Attachments

• house and car001.jpg
    house and car001.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 606
"HIGHBEAM- If you read this, NICE WORK on your Heritage!!"

Ha! I'm reading. Thank you. My oversized 4x6' hearth has turned out to be a great idea in daily use of this stove. We have dropped ashes and coals where per the book, we didn't even need to have hearth protection. Laying down in front of the hearth in the evenings like Harley's dog turned out to be a great idea and I have been awakened there a few times now to go to bed.

We here in WA are now in the mid forties at night and 60s during the day. Which means daily burning for me. I actually light two fires a day to keep the electric heat from coming on. One in the morning which the wife feeds until the house passes 72 or so which is by about 10 am, and then one at about 8 PM to warm the stove up and carry us through the night. The night fire doesn't get fed after the initial stoking. I have found that the fire picture is extremely nice on the heritage since you really run the thing on full blast for hours to get it heated up from cold. Lots of merry flames to watch for a good long time without overfiring the stove. My shortish 13 foot chimney is proving very adequate despite being the minimum spec'd by HS. I still haven't gotten this stove past 450, I get cooked out of the room by then. I see no reason to save extra money for the blower, I have not missed it or the noise it makes yet.

Tonight is supposed to be the beginning of our rain which will go until June, so you can bet I'll have a nice fire rolling tonight. Maybe a little Beam in the glass too.

Take a look at the woodstock stoves. I think they have the combination right. Soapstone + slow catalytic burn = success ! Prices are very comparable. Clearances are tighter on the Hearthstone, but I'm less impressed with the styling and the workmanship (internally in particular). The Woodstock Fireview has a fairly narrow front Hearth requirement, due to the fact that loading in only from the side, not the front and side. I missed this when I did my initial survey.

I will agree with KeithO that you take a look at woodstock too based on soapstone and the reviews. We liked the style of the HS better and the top venting better. Also the rear clearances on the fireview were really big compared to 7" on the heritage. If the woodstock had a bigger window, top vent, and tighter rear clearances then maybe we would have considered it more.

KeithO said:
Take a look at the woodstock stoves. I think they have the combination right. Soapstone + slow catalytic burn = success ! Prices are very comparable. Clearances are tighter on the Hearthstone, but I'm less impressed with the styling and the workmanship (internally in particular). The Woodstock Fireview has a fairly narrow front Hearth requirement, due to the fact that loading in only from the side, not the front and side. I missed this when I did my initial survey.
In regards to the Woodstock stoves, I think the Fireview would be too much stove. The Keystone or Palladian would be better sized in my opinion. That's what we have for about 1500' in NH. I think soapstone is a great direction to go, I personally agree with Keith about the catalytic - slowburn, etc, but I think Hearthstone builds a beautiful stove too. Different looks, different technology, but both companies make really nice stoves

Just remember that the 2 brands have completely different combustion technology. The bigger Woodstock stove will thrive with the airflow cranked way down and the combuster lit off. The Hearthstone needs to be cranked so that the secondary combustion works effectively and in the later charcoal stage will be producing CO where the catalyst in the Woodstock will be oxidising the CO to CO2.

I just think that the catalytic stoves have a much broader operation band where everything is sweet, whereas the non catalytics have a fairly narrow sweet spot which requires that the stove be matched to the heat load far more accurately to begin with. Unfortunately, with the way things are going with Platinum and Palladium and Rhodium, its undoubtedly more expensive to build catalytic stoves.

http://www.advfn.com/p.php?pid=commoditiestypes&cb=1190937344&gid=PM&symbol=NYM^PL\V07

Attachments

• Palladium.jpg
    Palladium.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 485
  • platinum.jpg
    platinum.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 481
If you like that Hearthstone, go for it. The pups'll love ya for it. The soapstone will flatten out that peaky burn curve of a non-cat.

I'm not sure if it would be a little bit bigger than need, but it does depend on the setup you have there - it is a great stove. If you are away from the house that long - I'd go for it. And your dogs will love you for it too. Although Block is no longer here to enjoy it - he really did love the stove.

Attachments

• 11-21-06.JPG
    11-21-06.JPG
    163 KB · Views: 547
Harley said:
I'm not sure if it would be a little bit bigger than need, but it does depend on the setup you have there - it is a great stove. If you are away from the house that long - I'd go for it. And your dogs will love you for it too. Although Block is no longer here to enjoy it - he really did love the stove.

Sorry to hear about block Harley.

Harley, sorry about Block
THE RAINBOW BRIDGE POEM

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Hope this helps....

Thank you, NJ - I'll be reading that for a while. It helps... really didn't mean to go off topic here though.

Harley said:
Harley, your picture was my background on my work computer last winter. Awesome, felt warm and content every time I looked at it. Sorry your pups gone, they're really tough to let go of.

Harley,
It's hard to say goodbye to a pet. I didn't write that poem, grabbed it from a crabbing and fishing forum I participate in..

I hope our Hearthstone Tribute stove will be installed for this season and then will post how she works. It's a bit smaller than the Heritage and rated at 36K, but looks exactly like a Heritage- without the side door.

Sorry about your friend, Harley.

Status
Not open for further replies.