Went up top to check the chiney today, found a problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pr0vidence

Nov 11, 2007
south central CT
So I climbed up on the roof today to check the top end of things and found that the flue liner had slipped out from it's collar and sunk down about 2-3 inches. Any ideas on what I can do to remedy this? Also, how does the buildup look? Is it ok, or should I scrape off what's there? I don't know what is considered "bad" buildup so I am trying to learn the limit. Picture below, I took it with me cell phone because it is what I had with me while I was up there, but I can take a better picture if needed.

Thanks

Picture here:

http://www.boomspeed.com/pr0vidence/stove/chimney.JPG

is that a prefab chimney with a ss liner inside? fireplace, insert, or stove?

Loosen that hose clamp up all the way. Take two needle nose vise grips and clamp them on TIGHT. Pull the liner straight up. I would then look into a band collar type support that clamps around the liner and gives it better support from falling down. I found one at my local fireplace store. I'll see if I can find a pic of one.

Is it just me or is the flue plate installed upside down? The liner kits we use have the flue flange pointing UP....
How the heck are you supposed to tighten the hose clamp screw when it's inside the chimney?
'Course it's too late for this install...
But I'd remove the top plate, add an SS flex-to-rigid adapter & a short section of flex & re-install the top plate in the correct position...
Rebend the plate to fit the flue tile...
THEN anchor the plate with RTV on the flue tile to hold it...
THEN cut the liner to the top of the flue flange...
THEN install the cap...

It's ok for the top plate to be upside down if there was a clearance issue with the cap. Yes- stand on the chim- grab the liner with vise grips-pull straight up- have a friend re tighten the band clamp- maybe finish it with a couple 3/4 inch ss screws

Thanks for the replies everyone. Weezer, it's a Avalon Rainier sitting in a masonry fireplace as a stand-alone (just no surround), terra-cotta lines flue all the way up with the flue liner inside.

What about the buildup? any comments? Is that bad enough to be scraped yet?

thanks again.

Awesome, thanks. I got a buddy coming over tomorrow morning and we are gonna hoist that bad boy back up to where it should be. this time I am going to get some SS sheet metal screws to drive through it and hold it in place.

Thanks for the advice, all!

After the hoisting and fastening be sure and double check the connection at the stove top to make sure everything is still tight and sealed.

Status
Not open for further replies.