We're Burning!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FireVirgin

Jan 1, 2012
Central CT
Finally got through the town bureaucracy, and then things moved quickly! Alderlea T5 insert went in on Monday (had the chimney cleaned first). The installers were great - answered all my questions. Then had to wait for the building inspector to approve the insert for use (this is the part I was dreading since he was so OCD about letting us go ahead with the install, so DH got elected to deal with that). But, the inspection was quick - and no problems. :).

Had our first break in fires earlier this week -thanks to reading about this on the Forum. Our manual didn't say anything about this...but wanted to start right, and figured better safe than sorry. Had a snowy afternoon/evening here yesterday, so as soon as we got home, started the fire and had first overnight burn. 7 hours later, still putting out heat and plenty of coals. Started up right away this morning. Living Room (where insert is located) is at a toasty 70 degrees, other rooms on the same floor are at 67. This is amazing since we keep the heat set at 60-62 to keep the cost down. Especially love that I didn't hear the furnace kick on once (take that CNG!).

Tried to attach pics, but I'm technologically challenged and couldn't figure it out. I'll have to work on that!

-Wendy

Another happy camper, I am sure you will like the T5 and everyone who buys one seems to. Posting pictures is fairly easy once they are the right size.

Congrats, and welcome! My T5 insert came with a sheet that explained the break-in, glad you figured yours out. The paper they gave me also stated that there would be a smell, to open the windows--I never got that smell, probably because I have the ceramic majolica coating rather than stove paint. Oh well.

I can't wait to see pictures of yours. I am jealous, I have only been able to produce one overnight burn, and not sure how I did it. However, I have precious little dry wood left, so I don't really push it. Bio Bricks are wonderful for new burners.

How big is your house? I am amazed at how warm you have been able to keep it, being up there in New England.

Woohoo, congratulations! Now you have to change your username (jk). ;)

Mary

Sue, our house is a 1600 sf colonial - built in the 1940's (not super airtight, but ok since some upgrading). Luckily, even tho' it's definitely not an open floor plan, the air on the first floor has kind of a natural circular flow. May have to get those corner doorway fans to help the air movement a bit, but figure we can wait til next year for that. The curing smell was pretty bad (I thought). Had to open the windows for a while, but fine after the break in. I'm jealous - looked at the brown ceramic coated model, but figured DH was sure to chip it (which would not be a happy conversation), so better for our relationship to have the cast iron :). I was pretty happy with the O/N burn - guess something I read here must have sunk in!

Mary - thanks, but will have to keep the user name til we start burning "for real" next year. Otherwise I'll jinx it!

Figured out big reason for problem with pics (thanks BG) - guess I'm going to have to actually do this from the computer not on a tablet. ...Once I can drag myself away from the fire. :)

FireVirgin said:
. ...Once I can drag myself away from the fire. :)

Know EXACTLY how you feel!! :coolsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.