West Oregon Wood Products

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tchdngrnby

Oct 7, 2009
Puget Sound Washington
For those of you who enjoyed burning Atlas Premium Red Fir Pellets be warned that WOWP (manufacturer of Blazers) will now be bagging "Atlas". Once stocks of Atlas are gone, you are likely to see a drop in the quality.

tchdngrnby said:
For those of you who enjoyed burning Atlas Premium Red Fir Pellets be warned that WOWP (manufacturer of Blazers) will now be bagging "Atlas". Once stocks of Atlas are gone, you are likely to see a drop in the quality.

I burned 1.5 tons of Blazers this season and found them to be a very good pellet.

suppose to be the highest btu of all pellets out there..wish i could get them here in CT

The Atlas Plant is about 15 miles from my house (in Houser Idaho). To my knowledge it is still operating and very busy. Why would they contract with WOWP?

As for the quality of Atlas pellets......they have taken a downturn this year already in my opinion. Lignetics of Idaho and Atlas have both fallen pretty hard this year. There may be a shortage of quality mill waste in our area or they are getting out-bid for the good stuff. I burned a couple of bags of Lignetics earlier this year and had to jack-hammer the glass out of the burn pot!!

I am working my way through a ton of Atlas and I'm finding a lot of consistency issues with them as well. In previous years they were among the best you could buy and with the mill just 15 miles away I could get them for around $189/ton to boot.

Rooscooter said:
The Atlas Plant is about 15 miles from my house (in Houser Idaho). To my knowledge it is still operating and very busy. Why would they contract with WOWP?

As for the quality of Atlas pellets......they have taken a downturn this year already in my opinion. Lignetics of Idaho and Atlas have both fallen pretty hard this year. There may be a shortage of quality mill waste in our area or they are getting out-bid for the good stuff. I burned a couple of bags of Lignetics earlier this year and had to jack-hammer the glass out of the burn pot!!

I am working my way through a ton of Atlas and I'm finding a lot of consistency issues with them as well. In previous years they were among the best you could buy and with the mill just 15 miles away I could get them for around $189/ton to boot.

Because they don't have or won't have the money to run the plant: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/66531/

I have used the Blazers and they seem fine.

The Quad will leave more clinker with the Blazers as compared to the Golden Fire.

The stoves that burn with a tad less intense heat will not see as much clinker.

Snowy

Blazers did very well for me, Just too pricey by the time they have them hauled to use in New England. Every pellet I have sampled from the west coast has done well for me. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.