western mass installation help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oliver

Sep 1, 2008
westernmass
Hi--have recently swtiched out a large (old) wood stove for a small wood stove with all heat reflectors (new) using existing chimney but put down new floor protection (bluestone and metal pad). Have followed all manufacturer's guidelines but am concerned that local building inspector seems to think we need to prep the floor as if we were getting a pellet stove with huge boxed floor protector and giant clearances.

Would like to know how to deal with that and recs for an expert who won't charge us a fortune to just look at our set up and okay it or suggest changes before we have the building inspector out.

thanks

oliver said:
Hi--have recently swtiched out a large (old) wood stove for a small wood stove with all heat reflectors (new) using existing chimney but put down new floor protection (bluestone and metal pad). Have followed all manufacturer's guidelines but am concerned that local building inspector seems to think we need to prep the floor as if we were getting a pellet stove with huge boxed floor protector and giant clearances.

Would like to know how to deal with that and recs for an expert who won't charge us a fortune to just look at our set up and okay it or suggest changes before we have the building inspector out.

thanks

Go over to hearthtalk.com and ask for Elk, he may be able to help you.

The inspector needs to go by the new stove manual's specs for the hearth. Some stoves have minimal hearth requirements and some have a lot more.

What stove is this BTW?

It's a VC Intrepid with both rear and bottom heat shields. Not sure what the clearances are for that and it will need a bend in the pipe (top) to meet the flue.

If it has the Bottom Heat Shield, part #0307, then it just needs spark and ember protection for the hearth. The manual is quite clear in it's guidelines for the hearth on page 10 under "Floor Protection". It says - "Spark and ember protection is provided by a floor protector, which may be any noncombustible material." In other words, you could have a piece of sheet metal underneath it and be covered as long as the bottom heat shield is installed.

The question is what do you want for a hearth? Do you want to use a prefab hearth pad or do you want to build or have installed a custom one? A simple sheet of metal, plus 1/2" durock and then a tile or stone cover would be fine based on the manual's specs. Show your inspector the paragraph under "Floor Protection" and tell him what you'd like to put in. As long as it provide as continuous ember shield of the dimensions called for, you should be ok and legal.

PS: The clearances should be listed on page 15 of the manual.

1. A wood stove needs much more attention than a pellet stove when it comes to clearances.
2. You should be able to find the owners manual for that stove - or/and read the metal label affixed to it - for some idea of the clearances.

Where are you in w. mass?

Clearances for that stove are likely to be pretty good - meaning you can probably get fairly close to a wall. What is your setup for the chimney? Masonry, metal?

i think i might know someone in western mass who might be a possible for ya , i'll look at my list of folks i know from my work rolodex when i get a sec tomorrow (if i get to the office without getting dragged off for somthing else) if i do i'll pm you his contact info.

Status
Not open for further replies.