Western Mass wood burners beware!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

biggins08

Sep 20, 2006
Springfield MA
I purchased two cords of "seasoned" wood last weekend from Rocky Mountain Wood company. Wood arived soaking wet with moisture. Called to complain and was told that the wood was processed from seasoned log lengths and that it would take a little while to dry out. I was told to stack it and air dry it for a week and it should be fine. I then told the women on the phone that I purchased seasoned wood and did not think I should have to dry it all out. I told her I would give it a few weeks and let them know if it was still wet. The wood is definetly not green, just wet. The bark is off of most of it and you can tell it looks very dry, it just has some extra moisture in it. Hopefully this wood dries out itn time......

That is one of the big problems with buying wood this time of year. The wood sellers may "season" it but when you are talking about hundreds of cords of wood in the piles they darn sure can't keep it covered. Not reasonable to expect them too. Domed stadiums cost a fortune.

If you are going to buy seasoned or unseasoned wood ya gotta get it early enough to correct for either green wood or surface moisture, whichever you buy.

2 years ago I ran short of wood and ordered a cord from a local supplier. Left a check in the mailbox. When I got home I see this large pile of wood all wet and mixed with about 1500 pounds of snow. The wood was so wet, there was no way it would dry out for several months. I called the company and they basically told me to pound salt. I informed them that I would stop payment on the check as soon as I hung up the phone. 2 days later the owner of the company call and asked me what it would take to make the situation right. I told him to come and pick up their pile of wood that I didn’t want it. I also told him I would put the word out to others I know to beware of buying wood from them. He shows up at my door with a dump truck 2 days later, but the truck was full. He said for me to keep the wet wood free of charge and he had a load of “hand picked” wood that he himself loaded. I went to get my checkbook, but he flat out refused to take anything for the new load. So I ended up getting 2 full cords of wood for nothing. It just goes to show that some folks will do most anything to satisfy the customer.

We sell tree length wood to fire wood to fire wood guys around here and some of them when they run out of wood they will sell anything and call it seasoned.
Try to get you'r wood as early as you can and get it from a good dealer. Most of the timeThe bigger dealers have enough seasoned wood.

Hard Woods said:
I purchased two cords of "seasoned" wood last weekend from Rocky Mountain Wood company. Wood arived soaking wet with moisture. Called to complain and was told that the wood was processed from seasoned log lengths and that it would take a little while to dry out. I was told to stack it and air dry it for a week and it should be fine. I then told the women on the phone that I purchased seasoned wood and did not think I should have to dry it all out. I told her I would give it a few weeks and let them know if it was still wet. The wood is definetly not green, just wet. The bark is off of most of it and you can tell it looks very dry, it just has some extra moisture in it. Hopefully this wood dries out itn time......

If it's wet from the weather, then yea...go ahead and split, stack and cover the top. It should dry out pretty fast. Quite a bit of the pile I purchased was wet from rain and being on the ground. The cord or so that I have split so far is racked and covered (top) and the splits look a whole lot dryer than when I first got the load. I've also covered the pile of rounds a couple times prior to a rain. As others have stated...BIG difference between "green" and "wet".
I have learned my lesson though. Next year I won't be foolin with wood this late unless it's for the following year.

Yeah, I was just surprised how the company reacted when I called about the quality of the wood. The driver that dumped it even told me to call because they want feedback. The company has been in business for 25 years, and, they made it sound like I was the first person to call and complain! I ahve about 1/2 cord of really well seasoned wood left. This will hopefully last me long enough to let the new stuff dry out. I would hate to have them come pick it up after all the time stacking it up nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.