Western NY

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Still got power here, and the cable (internet) is still working-we don't have actual cable, just cable internet.

Blowing like mad out there and it's really drafting in the stove. Making my sliding glass doors creak. It's going to be a long night trying to sleep with this noise!!

Lots of not so strong White Pines on the acreage the house sits on, if we get those winds it should be a mess.

zap

Great map...Glad I'm not on it...YET!
md

zapny said:
Lots of not so strong White Pines on the acreage the house sits on, if we get those winds it should be a mess.

zap

We'v got three BIG spruce trees at the Old House, and the way the wind is blowing it would be aiming at our garage...A few pines here at the cottage that would probably land in the yard...or on our car..if they fell. I would NEVER plant pines or other shallow rooted trees anywhere NEAR a structure!! I love blue spruce, but don't have a place for them far enough away from the Cottage...

Lighting Up said:
Great map...Glad I'm not on it...YET!
md

Same here-but I set the cell phone alarm just in case...

It's breezy here tonight certainly no real wind, but the power has been out 9x already.

Yea, we are rural. Some line maintenance wouldn't hurt though.

pen

pen said:
It's breezy here tonight certainly no real wind, but the power has been out 9x already.

Yea, we are rural. Some line maintenance wouldn't hurt though.

pen

The wind coming through the woods sounds like a freight train at the moment, letting the fire burn down because of the high winds, going with oil just for the safety aspect.

Trees and lines starting to come down, still have power for a little bit.

zap

Stay inside and stay warm. Hope you can keep the lights on.

Zap, how do things look now?

Backwoods Savage said:
Zap, how do things look now?

Things look good around the house from what I can see from the driveway, looks like the lane is open from the gate all the way down to the brook. I have the chains on the rhino so I'll be taking a ride up in the bowl.

I'll be heading back in early Saturday morning, I'm thinking we might have some Cherry down on backside of the hill that runs the length of the brook.

zap

We got hammered for about 3 hours with pretty steady winds 50-60 mph. Lots of trees down. Never lost power but NG has stuff trimmed for a parade.
Brand new flat rubber roof on my store/appartment building a month ago and its already eF'd up !!!!

We've got another one coming through this afternoon/evening. High winds and blowing snow, possible whiteouts. fun stuff. hope I beat it home! Sounds like time for more uglies on the fire (it just drafts like crazy in 30+ mph winds and eats up the wood).

I haven't even looked in the yard yet to see the damage... I'm next to buffalo.

Status
Not open for further replies.