Wet aged beef

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EbS-P

Minister of Fire
Jan 19, 2019
SE North Carolina
Cooked up some more sirloin top cap. (Sorry no pictures) this time I bought bought the vacuum sealed pack at Costco and let us age in the fridge for 30 days. The difference was very noticeable. First bite my mom snuck off the board was the the end cut and she remarked how tender the full cooked piece was. A table knife was all that was needed.

I’m sold. I will plan ahead and shop for the Xmas roast (either prime rib or whole sirloin) around thanksgiving.

I won’t buy beef unless it’s vacuum packed and I can age it. I did buy some individually packed 10oz. Ribeye steaks and they aged well for two weeks. Taste and tenderness was noticeably different than the next ribeye in had that came home wrapped on the styrofoam tray.

I’ll try a 50 day wet age to see if it has any improvements probably with the sirloin top cap. It’s cheap enough and package size is relatively small so it seams safer to experiment with as opposed to a 150$+ cut.

Evan

Reactions: ispinwool and MikeK