Wet Air Inlet Pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wburmil

Nov 3, 2008
NY
I have a 55-SHP10L pellet stove, used first time this weekend. I noticed the air inlet flex pipe had moinsure on it, is this notmal and will this not be good for the stove ?

I think we had this question pop up a couple weeks ago too and I'm not sure if there was ever a good answer put down. My air intake pipe gets wet as well as some of other peoples, but then there are people whose pipe doesn't get wet. If I were you I would just insulate the pipe and not worry about it.

-Chad

I think there might be more condensation in homes with higher humidity. Just the effect of the cold intake air cooling the pipe resulting in condensation. Its nothing to worry about. Pipe insulation, as said above, would cure the problem.

Funny, mine was just soaking wet last week and slightly damp the other day too. It has to be condensation for sure as I have seen it when there is absolutely no snow, rain or any other water event going on. It seemed at its worst when it was really cold and still. I ran that all last winter and don't recall it being noticed but it seems like I would have . It doesn't drip off the outside really but sure is slimey and cold. Not much to be done for it that I can see. How would you insulate 3"aluminum dryer vent like I have I wonder? My windows have also been a tad wet at the bottoms lately too.

my uncle had the same problem but it grew into a bigger one over time. he had to unhook his OAK due to excessive condensation buildup and the stove was sucking in water thus making him have bad burns.

Other people must also have this problem, I have to find some way to not let it destroy the heater.

Its condensate on the outside of the pipe. I get it at cold temps. 18 degrees out and 75 in, you basicly have a 2 1/8 inch three foot long dehumidifier coil. Wrap it and forget it.

Status
Not open for further replies.