Wet AND Seasoned?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

got wood?

Jan 4, 2006
Acton, MA
Howdy All,
I've just picked up 2 `emergency' cords to ensure a warm new england winter and it was delivered wet...rather wet. I've purchased many cords from this guy in the past, but never after a rain I guess. My question is: If wood has been split and seasoned for one year in a pile and gets wet (rain), is it still decent seasoned wood or has it re-hydrated to the point where it will need months to dry out again?

Like Dylan said, wet, seasoned wood will dry out a lot quicker than green wood. A lot quicker. The best envirohment to store it is a place where it's both dry and warm, but the priority should be dry first and warm second.

got wood? said:
Howdy All,
I've just picked up 2 `emergency' cords to ensure a warm new england winter and it was delivered wet...rather wet. I've purchased many cords from this guy in the past, but never after a rain I guess. My question is: If wood has been split and seasoned for one year in a pile and gets wet (rain), is it still decent seasoned wood or has it re-hydrated to the point where it will need months to dry out again?

We got some wood in early December, much the same way. It was seasoned, but stored in a big pile on the ground with a tarp over it. The price was cheap, so I bought it and stacked it right away under cover in the woodshed. Some of it is now burnable, other chunks still damp. You can usually feel this by weight. The dampest logs were on the ground. Some are wet on the interior and I won't be burning them for awhile, like maybe next season. In between raindrops, I try to split the big heavy (damp) chunks and then restack the splits to dry.

If your wood was well-seasoned and just got wet during the transfer, a little surface wetness should go away in a few weeks. Store it under cover, yet where it can breathe. Don't put a tight tent over it or there will be no place for the moisture to go.

Thanks guys, that's kind of what I thought...the wood is definately too wet to burn anytime soon and so i am already stacking it and covering to top during this lovely new england rain we're having. ;-)

I've got about 10 large hommade racks and typically flll the racks in a parallel fashion. This spring when I split the 3+ cords I bucked late fall I'll try the cross cross pattern for better drying (what I've read on this forum). Perhaps I'll do an experiment to see how much faster the wood seasons by stacking some my traditional way (parallel) and some in a criss-cross fashion...The only drawback to the criss cross patter I can think of is that you can't stack your racks as high (less dense)...but hey, racks are easy to make!

Sorry to say that we are in record breaking territory for rainfall. And after us, it's heading your way.

BeGreen said:
Sorry to say that we are in record breaking territory for rainfall. And after us, it's heading your way.

I know what you mean...I spent xmas/new years in Seattle./Portland..I think you guys are well over 25 days of straight rain, right? What's the record you are about to break?? 25 weeks? ;-)

We're coming up on breaking the Seattle record of 33 consecutive rainy days set in 1953. Today is day 27. Record for the state is 55 days set in Centrailia in 1996. You can tell a northwesterner by the moss behind his ears.

Status
Not open for further replies.