Wet fireplace doors- any issues to worry about?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Village Idiot

Burning Hunk
Sep 10, 2011
No. Va.
I need some advice. The doors for my Quadrafire 7100 were essentially power washed and are soaked. What sort of damage will this do to the metal, glass, and gaskets?

I just went by my house that I have having built and found the doors for my QF 7100 laying on the floor of my basement dirty and the gaskets wet. At the request of the builder, I had placed the doors on cardboard on the floor to keep them safe while the masons did their thing. (So much for that.) A cleaning crew came through to clean out the unfinished basement that had flooded prior to framing. They must have used a power washer.

I took a towel and pressed it against the main gasket to get most of the water out. Can't get to the glass gasket though. I also see a few spots of rust as well. So what do you all think? Any lasting damage, or can it be addressed with a good drying? Once the builder stops by tonight to see what was done, I am thinking of putting them in a warm oven to hasten the drying.

Not 100% sure, but I think the doors should dry out pretty good. The gasket may loosen up a little, and be sure that they are completely dry before putting them back on or some of the parts may rust together and make opening it a pain. This happened to my stove when "someone" in my house felt the need to thoroughly clean the inside of the firebox... Rookie mistake.

Thanks for the reply. Right now, I am trying to formulate my response to the builder and decide how far I want to push the issue. He is really nice guy and does great work. Plus, he's not the one that did it. It was a sub. He did once tell me that he sees his job as mostly adult daycare. He just needs to make sure everyone stacks their blocks right and colors between the lines.

:) I am in the same "line of work!" I babysit about forty 30,40 and 50 year olds everyday... I hope all works out for you and enjoy the new house!

Status
Not open for further replies.