Wet Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Waterbug

Nov 15, 2011
northern Michigan
I just bought 2 tons of pellets from Home Depot. I believe thqt the brand was American Fiber, but the brand doesn't really matter. I burned the first 4 bags with no issues. The 5th bag was clumpy, with wet pellets and clumps at one end. I usually pour a bag of pellets into 2 five gallon buckets to carry into the house. I set the BAD pellets aside. The pellets were delivered on an open flatbed truck, with the plastic bags wrapped in plastic. The driver off loaded the pellets directly into my leak-free pole building. I'm willing to eat the loss of a 1/2 bag of pellets, but not so if I find more of the same. Has anyone had a simular experience ?

Bring them back, they will give you another bag, no questions. Very simple. After burning 4 ton, towards the end of the year, I usually have 2 or 3 bags to bring back. Never had a problem, with or without receipt.

Tom C.

It happens occasionally.....seems the big box stores are the main culprits due to poor handling by the employees.

IMO, return all the bags with the damaged pellets to HD....they should swap fresh bags for them without question.

My HD was trying to sell them. Since I only move 20 bags at a time I hand pick them onto the cart. As I worked the pallet down I ran into a few that started to expand from getting wet. I moved them aside and told a kid that they were bad. The next day they had restacked the bad bags onto the pallet again. This time I told the manager and he still did not know what I was talking about. I asked him if he would sell wet bags of concrete and he said No it told him the same allies to pellets. BTW the ones in question at my HD were AWFs as well. I'm sure I'll hit a few that may have some bad pellets but I won’t bother taking them back for what I paid for them.

Waterbug said:
I just bought 2 tons of pellets from Home Depot. I believe thqt the brand was American Fiber, but the brand doesn't really matter. I burned the first 4 bags with no issues. The 5th bag was clumpy, with wet pellets and clumps at one end. I usually pour a bag of pellets into 2 five gallon buckets to carry into the house. I set the BAD pellets aside. The pellets were delivered on an open flatbed truck, with the plastic bags wrapped in plastic. The driver off loaded the pellets directly into my leak-free pole building. I'm willing to eat the loss of a 1/2 bag of pellets, but not so if I find more of the same. Has anyone had a simular experience ?

Never buy pellets that were stored outside. AWF stores there pellets outside.

Eric

A couple years back, I bought Energex from a local farm feed store. They were delivered to me tightly wrapped in that big outer bag and still on the pallet. Midway down, I came across two bags that were clumped inside and the rest of the bag like so much fish meal. The bags above and below were in good condition. No holes seen. When back a the farm supply getting some dog toys, I mentioned it to the store owner. The response was, "oh".
Just two bags, and it s obvious they were not the ones who got them wet, so I let it go.
My favorite pellet now, is the MWP that I get from SIB. Best price for a good pellet and good heat. No wet ones yet.

I was at Home Depot the other night, they had skids and skids full of GranulesLG, which in my experience is a great pellet.

Every single one of them was sitting outside, most of them had been torn into by people trying to get dry ones, exposing the rest to the elements.

I found a small stash inside and picked up a few bags for myself ($4 a bag, so I took a chance), even while picking through those it was clear they had been outside as some bags had clearly been soaked, big wet clumps of sawdust in them.

What are these people thinking? It clearly says on the bag "keep dry". Idiots.

While at my local HD in the outdoors/garden section last week I noticed they had skids and skids of what looked to be icemelt. They were all stacked up on the pallet racks 3 high. These skids had very heavy duty covers attached securely, almost like reusable vinyl/canvas covers. Wondering why the same can't be applied to all pellets stored outdoors. This might be a manufacturer thing, but still the pellet manufacturers should do it as well. Reuse the covers once the pallet is purchased, or have the customer return the cover when they are done. Maybe charge a small fee that is included with the price per ton that gets refunded/credited at the next purchase if the cover is returned.

kinsman stoves [email said:
[email protected][/email]]
Waterbug said:

Eric
are you sure you dont have a hidden agenda here..

smilejamaica said:
kinsman stoves [email said:
[email protected][/email]]
Waterbug said:

Eric
are you sure you dont have a hidden agenda here..

I see nothing hidden about this agenda!!! ;-P

Status
Not open for further replies.