Wet slab wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill

Minister of Fire
Mar 2, 2007
South Western Wisconsin
As some of you may remember the slab wood I got in Spring, fell over in a heavy wind storm two weeks ago. I stacked it to high and as it dried it started to lean forward. Anyhow half the rack fell on end. So I put it on my list of things to do. Well Saturday I re-stacked it on two pallets and then only half as high as I did last time. The remainder went back on the log rack.

What really surprised me as how wet the wood was. We have had the monsoon rains lately, with flooding. But the end grain of the Oak wicked up the water. It seemed almost as wet as when I first cut it up. I think by touching the ground with the end grain was worse than stacking it on the ground. Then the bottom pieces would get punky but the rest of the pile should be OK. I picked up a few pallets and they sure come in handy for emergency's like this.

I hope it drys out by burning season, but it might not. I'll wait two months and I'll split some and test the moisture level.

Status
Not open for further replies.