Wet stacks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fod01

Feeling the Heat
Nov 4, 2008
Long Island
I used up my entire wood ring over the weekend. The blizzard/ subsequent rain soaked the stacks. I'm not happy. Good thing I only supplement the oil heat. <>

The nights are supposed to get cold this week, so I brought a few armloads into the basement to hopefully dry out.

Maybe I'll wise up and actually build a woodshed. These tarps ain't cutting it.

Gabe

Right. Usually by this time of the year the tarps are trash. But I would not worry too much as it is just surface moisture and that can dry really fast.

Reactions: gyrfalcon and ScotO
Put a fan on it and it will dry rather quickly. If there is a safe space near the stove keeping the "next" load near the current one burning will make it all good.

Reactions: albert1029
A good breeze will dry it in no time. I don't tarp anything but the top anymore it actually dries faster and stays dryer without being covered all the way. If your covering it on the sides it will create a green house effect.

Pete

I used up my entire wood ring over the weekend. The blizzard/ subsequent rain soaked the stacks. I'm not happy. Good thing I only supplement the oil heat. <>

The nights are supposed to get cold this week, so I brought a few armloads into the basement to hopefully dry out.

Gabe

Do I hear the gears turning & a wood shed taking shape this year ?
Did the tarp thing for years, built the woodshed & have not looked back.
except to wonder:
"What Took Me So Long" ? ! :)

Gabe

That storm this weekend changed my view on woodsheds. I always thought top covering the stacks would be enough, no true need for a shed. After the storm, I found my previously dry stacks are better now decribed as " blocks of snow and ice impregnated with fire wood". I now understand the real, big reason why some people build woodsheds.

Where are all the guys that dont cover their wood this week (likely outside with shovels?)

Reactions: Mitch Newton
tarps are a PITA! Ultimately I too want to build a shed, but no time to do so right now. So I found a ton of rubber roofing at a local demolition business this past summer and man, what a difference that makes! My wood has never been so dry, and we've had rain after rain after rain this past fall. Anyway, even though it possibly would dry out in the wind, with the cold and rain it takes forever. I'll be keeping my stacks covered!

Reactions: westkywood
The forecast WAS for 3 days of sun, so I uncovered yesterday. Top layer looked decent.

Now we're looking at maybe getting another 4" starting tonight, so the dance begins again.... wood to the garage, cover the stacks.

Gets old.

I don't have a normal wood shed per say, but I am fortunate to have an old animal barn with no animals, The roof leaked like a siv until last year, when we reroofed it. Now I keep my piles outside in the sun and wind till time to burn then I can keep about 6 cords in the barn in just one bay..Nice and dry all winter long.

Status
Not open for further replies.