Wet weather and wood stacks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
We have a neighbor who recently started burning wood. It is terrible that they wait until they are out of wood before cutting more. All they have on their place is oak; mostly red oak. So, some was cut in October. I passed yesterday and see it is nicely covered. In fact, it is so covered that you can't even see the wood.....

Question: How can the wood possibly dry if it is completely covered with plastic?

Well, it does keep the rain off....:rolleyes:

Maybe they figure the humidity under the plastic will help to keep the wood warm Dennis. Did you ever consider that? Wood you rather they be abusive to there wood and leave it outside to be cold?

Somehow Gasifier, I never considered that one. Perhaps I will think on that for a bit. ;)

Reactions: Gasifier
Sounds as if yo need to stop by & "gingerly" discuss burning seasoned wood.
Not the whole "you are doing it all wrong" thing. But a few tips to help them evolve into good burners.

I bet you could "tactfully" teach them a little about it. (if they are "open" to learning )
Maybe even give them a stove or 2 full of dry wood to show them the difference & have them stop by & see your system ;)

Good luck.

When they got the stove they were full of questions....and went to the Internet for answers. Amazing how much of a pro that made them with just an hour or two of reading on the Net. Yes, I've tried to help but.....

Just let them go on their merry way ,Dennis . Sooner or later the light bulb will flash . So far, after 12 years my inlays have seen the light . It's cut wood in November , cover it with plastic to keep it dry ...... The chimney sweep sends them Christmas cards
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.