1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Wet weather and wood stacks

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Backwoods Savage, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    We have a neighbor who recently started burning wood. It is terrible that they wait until they are out of wood before cutting more. All they have on their place is oak; mostly red oak. So, some was cut in October. I passed yesterday and see it is nicely covered. In fact, it is so covered that you can't even see the wood.....

Question: How can the wood possibly dry if it is completely covered with plastic?

Well, it does keep the rain off....:rolleyes:
    albert1029 and Gasifier like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Gasifier

Gasifier Minister of Fire

Loc:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
    Maybe they figure the humidity under the plastic will help to keep the wood warm Dennis. Did you ever consider that? Wood you rather they be abusive to there wood and leave it outside to be cold?
  3. Backwoods Savage

Loc:
    Michigan
    Somehow Gasifier, I never considered that one. Perhaps I will think on that for a bit. ;)
    Gasifier likes this.
  4. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Sounds as if yo need to stop by & "gingerly" discuss burning seasoned wood.
    Not the whole "you are doing it all wrong" thing. But a few tips to help them evolve into good burners.

I bet you could "tactfully" teach them a little about it. (if they are "open" to learning )
    Maybe even give them a stove or 2 full of dry wood to show them the difference & have them stop by & see your system ;)

Good luck.
    Bacffin and Gasifier like this.
  5. Backwoods Savage

Loc:
    Michigan
    When they got the stove they were full of questions....and went to the Internet for answers. Amazing how much of a pro that made them with just an hour or two of reading on the Net. Yes, I've tried to help but.....
    Bacffin, Nixon and Gasifier like this.
  6. Nixon

Nixon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Sunbury ,Pa.
    Just let them go on their merry way ,Dennis . Sooner or later the light bulb will flash . So far, after 12 years my inlays have seen the light . It's cut wood in November , cover it with plastic to keep it dry ...... The chimney sweep sends them Christmas cards
    ;)
  7. Archie

Archie Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    This is a trick question, Dennis. The answer is "it cannot." You've sent them the link to Hearth, I'm guessing?
    Backwoods Savage likes this.