Wet wet wet!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BoilerMan1812

Sep 15, 2014
IN
What is this? I originall thought it was elm but seems too light colored after split. Very very wet according to MM.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    772.8 KB · Views: 342
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    644.8 KB · Views: 281
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    772.8 KB · Views: 311
Looks like Shagbark, but not sure about the end grain

The paper thing shaggy stuff in the pic is from under the main bark I believe...this tree didn't have any bark on it at all

Reactions: Missouri Frontier
Aint Hickory, cross cut says something a lot less dense unless it is punky. dosen't look like any elm I have cross cut either. Don't see any red in the heart area or I would say Box Elder based on the stringy stuff under bark.

Sycamore maybe?

I second sycamore. Looks like the sycamore around here after its sat awhile. And super wet insides is I huge sycamore clue

Sycamore has a different bark. Like gray with yellow or green kinda spots.

Sycamore has a different bark. Like gray with yellow or green kinda spots.
You might be right it might not be but the stuff I get here gets darker when it sits for awhile. Bark and all

Willow I have here has totally different looking bark. But, he's in Indiana.

Lol I'm always the right guy to be quoting! And I'm extremely humble. Lol

Reactions: showrguy
Thanks all... It was dropped two years ago and pushed into a pile by the river...the river got out this spring so it's possible the water was high enough up the pike that it could be why it's soo wet...so far sounds like most think sycamore... Never burnt any before

Thanks all... It was dropped two years ago and pushed into a pile by the river...the river got out this spring so it's possible the water was high enough up the pike that it could be why it's soo wet...so far sounds like most think sycamore... Never burnt any before
Not spectacular but, serviceable if dry. Sucks to split

Status
Not open for further replies.