Wet Windows

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 3, 2008
Western Oregon
Well, last year we installed some insulating blinds on our two, massive single pain wood frame windows. Yes, I know I should replaces these, but man it's expensive... And the other half loves the old look of the antique wavy glass.

Anyway, while running the stove so far this winter, with the blinds closed, we get a massive amount of water on the windows behind the blinds. So much so that last night I heard, drip..drip.. On my hardwood floor.

When I open the blinds, the problem goes away. But! The temp of the room drops by about 4 degrees if I do that. I can feel the cold when I place my hand near the window. The windows are painted shut, as well as caulking added to fill the gaps. But this single pain glass is cold as hell with its 25 out as it has been the past few nights.

I'm rubbing a quad insert and a pellet stove with an OAK. It happens when just running the pellet stove as well, so I don't think it's makeup air being sucked through the leaky window.

I have the wife talked into some plastic on the windows. The condensation is making my newly painted window frames look like crap.

Has anyone else here been able to solve this issue with plastic wrap?

DF

Normally condensation occurs on windows when one of a few things happens. The relative humidity in a room is too high and condenses on the window due to the temperature difference. And like wood, a window likes to have some air movement to help remove the moisture from the surface. So if you close blinds, there is no air movement. Therefore, it will condense.

My FIL uses a plastic wrap and it works great on his windows. It prevents moist air getting to the window from the inside.

Andrew

I have a similar issue here, not as bad as you describe, but my windows are double glazed. I have wooden shutters in two rooms and pull down blinds in another room, that I close at night - and there is a small amount of condensation covering half the windows by the time I open both in the morning.

This may not help with your situation, but I've found that the condensation doesn't happen if I just leave the shutters and the blinds open by an inch. No more.. By letting just a little warm air from the room get to the glass the condensation doesn't form overnight.

Your single pane windows may need more than that, but maybe it's worth a try. Good luck.

Your biggest problem is no storm windows,even cheap ones.I reccomend the 3m outside kit,or both inside and outside.By the way-KF7BBL.

Status
Not open for further replies.