Wet wood with blaze king cat stove (do I need a moisture meter)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything I read says to use dry wood. I thought mine was dry but it is greener than I thought. I do not have a moisture meter but can tell because it seems heavier than it should. Do you use a moisture meter? If so what model and brand and where did you get it. If I am burning it pretty hot (it is burning great) do I need to worry about creosote making it through the cat or does that usually burn off the creosote?

hotprinter said:
Everything I read says to use dry wood. I thought mine was dry but it is greener than I thought. I do not have a moisture meter but can tell because it seems heavier than it should. Do you use a moisture meter? If so what model and brand and where did you get it. If I am burning it pretty hot (it is burning great) do I need to worry about creosote making it through the cat or does that usually burn off the creosote?

When you are burning the wood does it sizzle? Does water bubble from the ends of the splits?

I've used one on occasion but now that I'm far enough ahead it typically just sits in the garage. With that said I think it's a great tool to have if you think you have questionable wood and want to verify what your gut is already telling you.

Not sure on the brand, it's just one of the cheap ones from amazon.

If you are burning hot, you are probably OK.
I watch the chimney cap, it will condense there first since it is the coldest. May see some creo-cicles starting to form.
I've tried a moisture meter but I didn't have much luck, measure all over the place depending on where I put it
on a split. But some swear by them.
If it's burning good, it is probably dryer than you think, but if it won't burn on lower settings, you may be right.
Hot fire with dry wood, cat glows bright orange,
hot fire with semi dry wood, it glows red but not a bright red.(some of mine is burnable if i burn hot, but the cat does light up as easy, & glows red)

First few weeks, check your stack weekly, (I go up & look when in doubt)

How old is the wood?
Size of the splits maters too. big ones take longer to dry.

Even if you are burning great, check your flue, lot of comfort in knowing.

Status
Not open for further replies.