Wet Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rover47

Oct 2, 2006
Albany New York
I know it has been asked before but... I've got two cords of split wood that wasn't stacked and got totally soaked this weekend. I know have it stacked on my covered porch. What are the chances it will dry out again?

couple of days if that

Our forecast looks good the next few days. Leave it out in the sun for a few days and it will be fine.

I wouldn't worry at all about rain on your wood unless you plan to haul it inside today, in which case it will drip on the floor. Otherwise, it will dry out in a day or two.

The only time I get anxious about rain soaked wood is when it turns into freezing rain and entombs the wood in ice.

That's a good reason to have the wood you are going to burn this year under a roof. Only had to learn that one once.

jrandall said:
I know it has been asked before but... I've got two cords of split wood that wasn't stacked and got totally soaked this weekend. I know have it stacked on my covered porch. What are the chances it will dry out again?

If you're just talking about the wood being wet from the rain . . . 1-2 days of being stacked and in the wind and/or sun.

If you're thinking that the wood would suck up the rain like a sponge and turn seasoned wood into unseasoned, green wood . . . no worries . . . doesn't happen.

It would have been better to leave the wood outdoors for a few days after the rain but it will still dry off with no worries. Don't worry and enjoy the heat it gives you.

Status
Not open for further replies.