What’s wrong with this set-up?! Please HELP! (pictures)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bwhunter85

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Aug 21, 2010
Sunfield, MI
Bought a new house that has a HOTBLAST 1557m add-on. The two pipes off the top BOTH go into the Hot air duct and none of them are hooked into the cold air return! Should I change up one of the pipes from the woodburner to go into the cold air return?

Hot Air 1 and Hot Air 2 are both pipes going into the HotAir. Should Hot Air1 or Hot Air 2 be moved to the cold air return?

THANKS!

Attachments

• What’s wrong with this set-up?! Please HELP! (pictures)
    WS.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 475
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure both pipes put out heat so why would you want one in your return?

Both outlet pipes off the top. They dont go into the cold air return. The cold air return would end up being a box built around your convection blowers. I'd get a copy of the manual online or have a local hearth shop/hvac person come by and advise you.

Just found the manual online, you are right, this burner shouldn't be hooked into the cold air return. Looks like I may need to replace the Thermodisk on the unit. Blowers kick on and off frequently and don't give a lot of heat into the house.

Bwhunter85 said:
Just found the manual online, you are right, this burner shouldn't be hooked into the cold air return. Looks like I may need to replace the Thermodisk on the unit. Blowers kick on and off frequently and don't give a lot of heat into the house.
Are you sure the stove is hot enough to keep the blowers going?

I have a couple of quick observations to put forward....

Have you checked the belt tension on the fan and motor? We found with our Olsen wood electric furnace that over time the belt would stretch which affected the air movement significantly to the point where the fan would kick in and out constantly without moving much air.

As well, if there is a filter to be cleaned or replaced this can serious affect the air flow.

And before anyone else asks it ..... How dry is the firewood you are burning?

Check the wood too. If it is not seasoned, it is not going to heat well.

Status
Not open for further replies.