What 45 MPH & 60 mph + wind gust do to dry snow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Remember the nice pictures with the pretty snow everywhere?
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/4-those-without-snow.101183/

What happen when you get 45 MPH sustained wind & 60 + gusts?
Pictures: Today @ 1230 PM (yes ,I got cold taking the pics ::P )
Snow drifts:
DSCF0314.JPG DSCF0320.JPG

DSCF0319.JPG DSCF0317.JPG

to; no snow/blowing snow:
DSCF0318.JPG

Reactions: albert1029
It stinks when the wind blows the snow away. That ruins the snowmobile trails!<> We are getting high winds tomorrow and it looks like Zap is gonna get some snow!;)

That's one big reason we like to live in the woods. It doesn't drift here. However, when we have to go to town....

Doesn't really matter out here if you are in teh woods, town, etc. The chinook winds come off the mtns and it's blowing through everything. It's normal for winters out here, but still sucks.

I don't think my neighbor appreciated me running my snowblower at 5AM so I could get the car out of the garage. I didn't even bother with getting in the garage when I got home, drift across the driveway that is close to 4ft high. I left the tractor parked by the garage and I think it's in that drift... I hope!
Not sure I'll be able to get onto the highway tomorrow, was a few drifts on my road that were 7-8ft tall. Was barely able to make it through by following ruts of a pickup truck and hammering down.

Hear a loud BANG not long after I got home and looked out to see what it was. Neighbor on the other side has a 2 place sled trailer. Wind got underneath it and flipped it upside down. :eek:
4 of my wood racks don't have wood on them. Built out of about 25-30 2x4s, 3 rows, 6ft wide, 5ft tall about 10ft long. They are now living in several pieces in the trees. ::-)

;lol
I just tell myself that the summers make up for it.

I don't even want to know how much shoveling it took to banana that handle like that! :eek:

Still blowing. Snow gone except for drifts., Nice insulated snow covered yard & garden is history.
Wonder where all the snow goes ?

Have a snow ramp to the top of the stack now.
It'll melt come April ;)
DSCF0322.JPG

Reactions: albert1029
From this a few days ago
DSCF0221.JPG

To this (1 PM pictures today)
Snow imbedded in the stack. At least it shouldn't fall
North side (wind side) of the stack, S side ,( lee side) of the stack
DSCF0342.JPG DSCF0340.JPG

trees leaning are usually straight, bent by the wind (even my shadow is leaning LOL :) )
Yard was 8" of snow; now none:
DSCF0344.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.