what a chimney sweep told me...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bfunk13

Minister of Fire
Sep 11, 2008
Wyoming
I had my chimney cleaned and inspected today.
There are no local chimney sweeps, so when i saw an add in the paper
i called right away. He did a good job of cleaning as far as i can tell.
I told him about my upcoming insert install, we talked a bit about it.
He said if it was his he would use NO flex or extra vent at all.
Just the insert in the fireplace opening, sealed off is good enough.
He did say my chimney was in excellent shape, and why line a tera cotta chimney
in good shape. I am still going to take your guys advice and do the liner, but man
theres alot of differing opinions regarding this topic. I suppose with no liner at all,
i would be paying this guy once a year to pull out the entire insert and do a major cleaning.
I am really glad you guys are here with knowledge and experience.

Thanks again!

This guy you hired has his head up his keister. One of the reasons you put a liner in is because most fireplace chimney flues are 12x12 and most wood stove exhaust is 6". without a liner your flue gasses will cool quickly and creosote is more likely that with the liner. Also, not putting any pipe at all on an insert is against NFPA 211 fire safety code. Without any pipe, your flue gasses will cool and condense in the smoke chamber (where there is no clay tile lining). This can result in a chimney fire in the smoke chamber which is very bad.
I don't know how the permit/inspection process works where you live, but If that guy is in business as a Chim Sweep, you should tell your local building inspector what he told you about installing your stove!

besides that...everytime you clean the chimney you will have to pull out the insert..not good advice at all

Yeah, i thought it was a bit crazy to recommend something like this.
Like i said, must be looking or repeat business.

Just do the ss liner=headaches are all gone away.

Absolutely!
The more i think about it, and with all your suggestions.
I am definitely going with the SS liner.
A friend was trying to get me to do a direct connect.
What a pain that would end up being. I dont want to be pulling out this insert every
year to clean.

Brad

Ditto Parrothead........Had my chimney swept today by a guy in the biz 25 years. I asked him why if I had a terra cotta chiney do some require the liner. And he said the same, that mine was designed for a woodstove and an insert wood need the liner because of gas and creosote buildup do to the large flue..............guess ya learn something new every day

A stainless liner also adds another degree of safety. If there happens to be a chimney fire inside a liner, the liner is only touching the chimney on one spot on each side and this, to me anyway, is enough to justify the added cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.