What A Difference A Day Makes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
We had our first thunderstorm last night and it took much of our snow, just like that!
IMG_6209.jpg

Today I can see the potential firewood laying on the ground once again, something that I haven't seen since December and still couldn't see much yesterday.
IMG_6211.jpg

And now that the frost is coming out of the ground, some of the dead ones are tipping over, like they do every year. Looks like I'm done cutting standing dead trees for who knows how long, and back to my normal routine of cleaning up the wood on the ground.
IMG_6216.jpg

Overnight my crocuses popped up!
IMG_6219.jpg

And not just the crocuses, but my winter onions too! Still waiting to see a robin though. I heard on the news today that they are seeing them only 35 miles away.
IMG_6218.jpg

Bulbs near the foundation of the house pop up really early here. I have some Narcissus that are up nearly 6" but they're very protected and the growth doesn't fool me. Further from the house are other bulbs (crocus and Galanthus-snow drops) but they're not up too far just yet. I haven't inspected farther bulb plantings for signs of "life" just yet. Native ferns are showing no signs of activity just yet. (Osmunda cinnamomea and Osumunda claytoniana).

Lilacs are just starting to show some life but it'll be a couple of months yet. BUT, the maples are "pinking up" predictably, the Magnolia stellata and Magnolia soulangiana "Butterflies" buds are swelling in their fuzzy jackets, and it's clear that spring is in the offing. Still, though, I've seen too many April blizzards to be lulled into thinking that "Spring" is here just yet! And if the truth be told I'm really itching for another "good" snowstorm... I know the snowfall won't last long.

We burned brush last weekend (complete with hot dogs) and we could use another burn day.

Oh yes, I'm sure winter has a few more teases planned for us yet! Hopefully not, but I've seen it snowing in the first week of May more than once.

Thanks for the pictures of green plants.
We have a month + before it happens here, that's why I like the spruce trees,
something green to look at in the winter.
Great pics

Status
Not open for further replies.