1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

What A Difference A Day Makes

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by quads, Mar 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quads

quads Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Sands, Wisconsin
    We had our first thunderstorm last night and it took much of our snow, just like that!
    [​IMG]

Today I can see the potential firewood laying on the ground once again, something that I haven't seen since December and still couldn't see much yesterday.
    [​IMG]

And now that the frost is coming out of the ground, some of the dead ones are tipping over, like they do every year. Looks like I'm done cutting standing dead trees for who knows how long, and back to my normal routine of cleaning up the wood on the ground.
    [​IMG]

Overnight my crocuses popped up!
    [​IMG]

And not just the crocuses, but my winter onions too! Still waiting to see a robin though. I heard on the news today that they are seeing them only 35 miles away.
    [​IMG]

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Bobbin

Bobbin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So. Me.
    Bulbs near the foundation of the house pop up really early here. I have some Narcissus that are up nearly 6" but they're very protected and the growth doesn't fool me. Further from the house are other bulbs (crocus and Galanthus-snow drops) but they're not up too far just yet. I haven't inspected farther bulb plantings for signs of "life" just yet. Native ferns are showing no signs of activity just yet. (Osmunda cinnamomea and Osumunda claytoniana).

Lilacs are just starting to show some life but it'll be a couple of months yet. BUT, the maples are "pinking up" predictably, the Magnolia stellata and Magnolia soulangiana "Butterflies" buds are swelling in their fuzzy jackets, and it's clear that spring is in the offing. Still, though, I've seen too many April blizzards to be lulled into thinking that "Spring" is here just yet! And if the truth be told I'm really itching for another "good" snowstorm... I know the snowfall won't last long.

We burned brush last weekend (complete with hot dogs) and we could use another burn day.
  3. quads

quads Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Sands, Wisconsin
    Oh yes, I'm sure winter has a few more teases planned for us yet! Hopefully not, but I've seen it snowing in the first week of May more than once.
  4. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Thanks for the pictures of green plants.
    We have a month + before it happens here, that's why I like the spruce trees,
    something green to look at in the winter.
    Great pics
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.