What A Difference A Degree Day Makes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Battenkiller

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 26, 2009
Just Outside the Blue Line
Or maybe ten degree days.

Around here, we're experiencing unseasonably warm weather. Not shorts weather, but about 10-12 heating degree days less than average. I can't believe how uncomfortable my basement is even with the stove barely putting out heat. Started up at about 2 PM last couple of days. Today I may not fire her up until evening. Last night I didn't even fill the stove all the way before shutting her down. I've got over a cord inside, and I'm starting to think that for the first time in years, I'll actually be moving much of it back out to the stacks. This could mean that I'll be burning even less wood in the new stove than I originally thought I would.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Yeah, it's the beginning of the early spring shoulder season here. I've let the fire go out the last couple of nights.
The house gets too warm otherwise. I've let the house temp drop to 62, and the sun drives it back up during
the day. Starting to go through the fire starter and scrap wood again. Small hot fires to take the chill off.

Yup . . . it's starting to really feel like Spring. Longer burn times . . . less wood used . . . and more daylight.

Yes, when it gets into the 40's I rely on the NG furnace which barely has to run to get the house up to temp. On a day like today with considerable radiant sunshine, the house will stay to temp by itself all day. In the late afternoon I purposely turn down the NG and let the house cool down a bit before firing up the wood stove. That way I don't roast everyone out of the house. I still have to go pretty easy with the Castine and put in smaller pieces of wood.

It's been higher than normal here too - up to 4-5C the last few days with some sunlight! I can almost see my driveway again ;)

I'm now into the habit of three smaller loads / day - morning, early afternoon, then night time load. Using a lot less wood (obviously).

I need to get my bucking finished before the snow melts - so much easier cutting into snow than dirt for the ones on the ground.

Guess the rodent was wrong this year!

We've got quite a bit of snow piling up here. It's delaying my wood stove install :p

Same here, nice sunny upper 30's really helps heat up the house, I only need 1 good fire for the evening to keep the furnace from coming on. I even get to open up my 3 season porch and take a nap in the sun. Funny thing about this time of year is you can get spoiled this week then the following week the weather turns back to crap.

Time to burn all those ugly odd ball pieces of wood laying around.

I am about to go out and bring in a bunch of shoulder wood. I have about 3/4 cord of yellow tulip just for these occasions.

Save the oak till next year, or the next cold snap. We are not out of the woods yet.

KC

Status
Not open for further replies.