What a difference a month makes!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BobUrban

Minister of Fire
Jul 24, 2010
Central Michigan
I am going to be mowing the lawn soon - sure didn't think that would ever happen again just a month ago. Pics are March and April 24th respectively. And then there is the issue of living on clay... Water likes to stand around for a couple days before it perks through my soil. Could be worse - there have been springs where I could paddle my canoe back there :)

Attachments

• march24.JPG
    march24.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 178
  • april24.JPG
    april24.JPG
    310.6 KB · Views: 156
  • april242.JPG
    april242.JPG
    190.3 KB · Views: 154
Reactions: Backwoods Savage
oh I hear ya , im just about ready to mow my front lawn myself. with the rain tonight and warm weather for the next 4 ill be cutting pretty soon

I am going to be mowing the lawn soon - sure didn't think that would ever happen again just a month ago. Pics are March and April 24th respectively. And then there is the issue of living on clay... Water likes to stand around for a couple days before it perks through my soil. Could be worse - there have been springs where I could paddle my canoe back there :)
Any grass coming up the deer are eating, should be the 2nd or 3rd week of May before we mow. You have clay, we have sand with about two inhes of topsoil, 4-6 inches of topsoil would've done the trick.

Mowed mine on Saturday. Looks like it's grown an inch since then. A bit more warmth & I'll be into the twice a week routine 'till the hot & dry hits. Likely not too far off really.
It beats last year when I mowed the last time in late December & was back at it in February!
Pure sand here. Nice for the spring, but things are looking mighty brown by July.

Still have snow in places to melt <>

Frost in the yard is down about 3' - 4' . At least it's not perma-frost :)

I've mowed twice so far. And I've had a couple of fires to boot. I thought when one stopped the other began. That's what I get for thinkin":p

Reactions: Trilifter7
My second mowing will be this weekend. Recent rains have everything greening up and trees starting to blossom. Will be getting to the time of year where I have to plan my wood cutting around the mowing!

I'll be mowing for the third time this weekend! Moved all my wood bins out of the garage a month ago when I ran out of good wood. I'm also waiting to get my burner assembly replaced or I would have def had some fires the last few days.

Thats a great looking pit you got there. i likes them seats..

IMG_0113.JPGIMG_0115.JPG
Thats a great looking pit you got there. i likes them seats..

Thank you - the pit is some of the pavers I used to build my hearth and I am contemplating the addition of a keyhole cooker like others have posted here because I have plenty of the pavers left. The one stump chair I posted here in another thread but it turned out really cool, comfortable and by mistake. I was taking apart the monster ash that came down out back and this portion was laying on it's side waiting for some more cuts when I noticed it resembled a potential chair. Stood it up and, whola, a natural recliner. Thankfully my trailer has a tilt bed because it was a bear just rolling it on for the short transport to the pit.

Reactions: ansehnlich1
Clay over this way too. I still have a really wet back yard the front yard got power raked last weekend so it will be a little bit before i need to cut.

For sure water is one reason we like living on sand. We just don't have to contend with much water problems. Still, we have a few swampy areas. Also have one spot in a lane that we need to build up as there is too much standing water there.

I was down mid-state the last couple days. It's definitely getting green there. Up here, my snowbanks are still hanging around and the grass isn't green yet. Won't be long though.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Waulie, come on down Tuesday or Wednesday of next week and you ought to really like it if the forecast is right. For sure we are looking forward to it and we really need sun and wind to dry some ground a bit. Can't even plant strawberries and tomorrow we pick up some new trees we've ordered. Maybe we should have ordered rice instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.