What a difference...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rkofler

Burning Hunk
Nov 15, 2011
Long Island
Been able to keep the house between 73 and 75 for most of the winter. Last few days, only been around 70 or 71. Well, we were away last week so everything was shut down. Including the CEILING FAN. Turned it on, 74 within the hour! Room is 20x20 with cathedral ceiling. Just wanted to suggest to anyone with cathedral, a ceiling fan is a must in my opinion.

Yup, have two of them, makes a huge difference.

Most definitely in a cathedral room a ceiling fan is a must. It will also help a great deal in any stove room. It just makes sense because heat rises.

Why is it not better to push the hot air down that rises to the ceiling in the winter?

fan.jpg

Image courtesy of the wonderful folks at Del Mar Fans & Lighting

http://www.delmarfans.com/educate/basics/what-is-the-proper-ceiling-fan-direction/

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is it not better to push the hot air down that rises to the ceiling in the winter?
Can cause a direct draft onto you and that could make you feel cooler.

Different directions work differently for different set ups. Some folks like it better blowing down, but most pull air up in the center which sends the heated air down the walls.

Last edited:
Reactions: fossil
Ceiling-fans_h.jpg
Been preaching this for several years.

An exception might be if it is a big room with a pair of ceiling fans. You can try setting one to blow upward and one down. The upward fan should be over the main seating area to avoid drafts. The two fans will create a convective loop this way, circulating the hot air trapped up at the ceiling peak.

Reactions: ArsenalDon
Can cause a direct draft onto you and that could make you feel cooler.

Absolutely, this is the complaint I get from kids and wife every time I turn the fan on. Tried blowing both up and down, everybody except me wants it off so I am outnumbered. :mad:

When i run my cieling fan with the summer setting my digital number on my thermostat rises like a champ, when I run it like your suppose to for winter my digital drops in my set up.

I have a flush mount fan in the stove room with 8' ceilings. Every winter, I try it blowing up, but that never seems to distribute the heat as well as blowing down.
I keep the fan set on medium and control it from the wall which makes it easy to adjust when stove temps change.

In the summer I'm constantly at odds with the wife over the ceiling fans. She wants to keeps the air moving and thinks it keeps the house fresher, I tell her that we don't need cool air at the ceiling and it only makes the AC run more.

View attachment 126660
Been preaching this for several years.

An exception might be if it is a big room with a pair of ceiling fans. You can try setting one to blow upward and one down. The upward fan should be over the main seating area to avoid drafts. The two fans will create a convective loop this way, circulating the hot air trapped up at the ceiling peak.
This is my setup in the upper 1500 sq ft of our 3000 sq ft home....cathedral ceiling, 2 fans and you are exactly right...I have experimented all 3 ways. Blowing up, blowing down and one on each...the one on each method is by far most effective.

When i run my cieling fan with the summer setting my digital number on my thermostat rises like a champ, when I run it like your suppose to for winter my digital drops in my set up.
I run mine to blow down because it pushes heat into my kitchen a lot better. It all depends on your setup. If I had one in my stove room, I'd pull air up.

I run mine to blow down because it pushes heat into my kitchen a lot better. It all depends on your setup. If I had one in my stove room, I'd pull air up.
Yeah, My ceiling fan is about 25 ft or more away from the insert. The insert is in the library then conected to that is the living room then connected to that is the kitchen where the fan is. The fan seems to pull the heat out of the library pretty good on this setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.