What a good feeling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daveswoodhauler

Minister of Fire
May 20, 2008
Massachusetts
Ran into the newbie situation this year and ran out of wood.
Set myself a goal, and said not going to happen again. SO...
Have 12 rows, 9' long and 4 1/2' high..most are appx 16" splits.
Front facing row is the less btu stuff....some pine and birch and small stuff...but the remaining 12 are oak/maple and beech.
Best thing...only 4 of the rows I bought and resplit...the rest is scrounged.
Splitting implementation is a 8lb maul from home depot....a little work here and there really paid off.
Thanks for the post about the importance of getting ahead of the game.

Attachments

• woodpile.jpg
    woodpile.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 531
Another pick...I can see why folks feel good when the work is done.

Attachments

• wood 2.jpg
    wood 2.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 492
Nothing more satisfying than looking at your wood pile.... sweet!

Looks great!

Id be cutting wood now if I had somewhere to stack it.
Your Pile looks great, It is a good feeling.

Jamess67 said:
Id be cutting wood now if I had somewhere to stack it.
Your Pile looks great, It is a good feeling.

Yeah, my wife is starting to think I am a bit odd.....shes like...."are you going to cut down all the trees to make more woodpiles?"

Sounds like a good idea, I said.........plus, I am not a big fan of Facebook and Twitter :)

Nice job money in the bank

Be proud, be very, very proud. It looks terrific. I think only someone who burns wood appreciates the art of nicely split and stacked wood.

I spent the afternoon moving 16" rounds to the site of the splitter. It took many trips with the gardenway but it was a great way to be outdoors, enjoy the sunshine, engage in some weight bearing exercise, and get something accomplished at the same time. It was important to get the rounds moved because the ferns will be coming up any day now and I didn't want to trample the emerging fronds by putting it off for too long. The dog and the cats had a fine time following me around and performing athletic feats for my enjoyment.

There's now quite a pile to split and stack (red maple) but it shouldn't take more than a day, two if we spend only mornings on it. The husband will be relieved he didn't have to do any of the hauling. My next move is the master the chainsaw, but there are some things husbands ought not attempt to teach wives. ;)

great lookin stack! but dont quit now get some rounds that you can stack in all that sun you got there then split them in oct, nov. so they will get even longer to season.....
i was you last spring now i have 5cd that will be ready this fall but sittin since spring 08 so about 18 months i have 3 cd (almost) that was split nov 08 that will be used in nov 10 so thats what i need to get at least 3 more cord by this nov

Preused ufO brOKer said:
righteous! if i may suggest a readilly removable tarp for rain, stapled to the wood 1 end & bungee corded down at the other end

Yup, the tarp is hiding behind the piles....usually put it on if it calls for rain, but once summer is here I'll probably leave uncovered.
A few bungees on one end, and a couple small weights ftom and old weight set for the other side.
Been sunny here for 3 days now, so I wanted to give the wood a good share of UV :)

Good job ilikewood. You will have great pleasure every time you look at that wood pile and will be a very happy camper next winter.

Looks nice! What's that little pile off to the side?

ilikewood........ the more i look at the pic..... for a so called "newbie" that is really neatly stacked!! its so pretty you are gonna hate to take from it!!!
i can't gt mine to look that neat

LLigetfa said:
Looks nice! What's that little pile off to the side?

Thats my little pile of chunckers and smaller stuff....had it thrown around here and there.... and then by the end decided I needed to stack it. Its about 5 feet tall now.....
Its also the area I am going to start clearing for 2010-2011 storage, but the Mrs's doesnt know that yet :)

Preused ufO brOKer said:
i think IR is mo potant than uv but dont let me slow u down HON! :kiss:

Yeah, debating that pooks....the pile now is about 2 years worth...but the Mrs's think its only a years worth, so I might cover half and let the other half bake..will check in the fall with a MM to see what the results are.

Not too many UFO brokers in our area....might be a good business venture :)

Status
Not open for further replies.