What a great site

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sandie

Feeling the Heat
Oct 29, 2009
West of Boston, MA
This is my first wood stove, it is a vintage 1985 Vermont Castings Resolute stove. I do not totally understand the difference between what looks like a way of getting air in at the top and the other one at the bottom. The top one has a handle and the bottom one must has thick wire and each looks like it is used to damper the fire but not sure of the difference. The one on the bottom back appears to be a flap that opens and closes and is about 2.5"vertical and 5" horizontal, the one with the handle nearer the top left side is I do not know the size. How to use each? I have a partner that does not want this stove and afraid we will fill the house with smoke and have a chimney fire so I need to know exactly what I am doing and that this stove works and works well. IT is the Resolute that has two front doors if that helps. I did not look for the actual model number but am told only one of the resolute models had two doors and the others have one door.
I loved the video, told me exactly how to make a fire and keep it going, I have heard that 600 degrees is about where you want the stove to burn so will get a thermometer but did not see in the video that lady used any thermometer. I hope my installer is a WETT certified installer but he does come highly recommended and has done this for years.

WETT certification is a Canadian thing. Not found around Bean Town.

Status
Not open for further replies.