What a great weekend!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow1

Minister of Fire
Nov 26, 2008
Eastern MA
Got a great gift from my wife - time to spend on this crazy hobby. Weather couldn't have been much better either - highs in the 60's.

Did a bunch of scounging as a result. I had two leads from a posting I put on my company tack board - basically asking for free wood/offering to remove trees/logs/whatever.

Saturday I went to a guys house not too far away who said he and friends had cleared a bunch of trees earlier this summer and I could have the wood. Found that they had removed a mix of smallish trees and tossed them into the wetlands behind his house. Basically cut into lengths small enough for 2 to handle and junked them. He was nice enough to help haul out and load so I took a truck full of the pieces that seemed worthwhile. Got back home and cut them up as I unloaded the truck using the electric saw - nicer for start/go work and didn't want to dirty up the Stihl as much :). I think I found a good method too - put the wheelbarrow below the tailgate, cut as I pull them off and drop the rounds in. Largest were 8-10" diameter, smallest were some 3" that I think he stuck into the pile. Some pine, maple (was trying to grow back - new leaves on it!), and mystery wood. Probably yielded 1/3 cord. Was dirty and wet, but solid. I also made some progress on that oak load in the yard...

Sunday was off to another contact who had 'trees to take down'. Man I wish I was more competent/confident. He has all sorts he wants out that are just a bit too close to his house. But there are a few that I'm willing to learn on as they are clear of everything. He also has several that have been down for a couple years... he asked that I take that wood first (of course). There was a leaner that wasn't too high that I agreed to take since it was solid and so I worked that for a couple hours and it seems somewhat solid - no idea what kind of wood, but it is a hardwood and is only slightly punky. The surprise was that I found a cedar in there! Not sure what to do with it but i brought that home - shame to burn as it REALLY smells good. It was so dry I didn't recognize it until I smelled it as I cut it away (was under the leaner) and saw the bright red wood. Tested out at about 15% mc so it can be burned now - maybe make kindling out of it.. maybe just save chunks to leave around the hearth to look pretty and smell nice for a while. Overall yielded perhaps a bit under 1/4 cord for that trip - I guess I need to learn to work faster, but I did get all of that cut into 16" lengths and loaded in that time.

This morning I discovered that I have never before split fresh cut red oak. I guess all the scrounging has made me used to splitting dried oak or something. I had a few minutes to spare and one of those rounds from the big log load that I cut off Saturday was staring at me so I thought I'd take a few wacks to see what I could do. I was shocked at how easy it was to split. 10-15 minutes later that 30" diameter round was all split up and I was itching to do another... I'll have to be sure and get the rest split before it dries too much and become hard to do.

Ok - long story to tell, but nobody here at work gives a hoot to hear about it. If they ask "how's your weekend" they gloss over if I actually mention anything to do with gathering wood... I think bringing home almost 1/2 cord of wood, bucking another 1/2 cord of a log on the pile and generally having a happy wife over the whole thing makes for a great weekend. Guess they won't get it til they try it.

I know - pictures. The new camera is supposed to be here Thursday.. old one did it's own splitting (no, not wood related thankfully).

That does sound like a great weekend. I enjoyed reading about it too! And I understand about "others" not understanding.

I spend my Saturday morning at a friends house where I do a lot of my wood gathering. He asked if I could help him with some two man projects which I gladly did. Once done, since I was there anyhow I pulled out the saw and worked on a big Cherry tree that had falling down. Took home two full loads in my F150 (I figure 1/4 - 1/3 cord per load). Unload in my woodland. Then Sunday morning I got the Huskee working and did some splitting before the family was ready for the days activities. I'm sure next weekend will be more of the same and I look forward to it!

Cherry - I've read about that one. Have yet to find any that I know of. Then again I'm so good at wood ID that I'd have to choke on a pit to know I found one I suppose :)

I forgot to mention the icing on the cake. End of the day Sunday my eldest kids (girls 7 and 6) helped to fill the deck rack with 1/4 cord of wood. They worked very well with me (and each other!) to pass splits to the wheel barrow then once I carried the buckets up the deck they stacked. By time we were near the end they even seemed to have gotten the idea of what "neat, tight, and stable" means too. Sure was nice to see them working well together and enjoying the satisfaction of the job well done to boot.

I'm pretty bad at tree id as well. Cherry though is a pretty easy one to pick out, especially once you cut or split it due to the smell and color. The bark is also different than other species around here.

Ah, the older I get the more I realize that time is probably the second best gift anyone can get . . . the best gift of course being unconditional love.

Random thoughts:

Small wood . . . no matter . . . all wood burns . . . small, medium and large. It may take more small wood to fill the firebox, but no matter the size, burning wood = heat.

Cedar . . . smells great . . . burns even better. Wonderful wood to use for kindling. In fact I would put it all into kindling . . . it is one of the best fire starters in this part of the country in my opinion.

Wood stories . . . yeah, most mere mortals do not get overly excited to hear about your wood gathering stories or want to see pictures of your woodstove . . . but we are not mere mortals here, we are Woodburning Gods who have mastered fire . . . so keep sharing the tales with us and let the poor minions continue to buy and burn oil and propane while we relish in the sweet heat of our labors. :)

firefighterjake said:
Ah, the older I get the more I realize that time is probably the second best gift anyone can get . . . the best gift of course being unconditional love.

Random thoughts:

Small wood . . . no matter . . . all wood burns . . . small, medium and large. It may take more small wood to fill the firebox, but no matter the size, burning wood = heat.

Cedar . . . smells great . . . burns even better. Wonderful wood to use for kindling. In fact I would put it all into kindling . . . it is one of the best fire starters in this part of the country in my opinion.

Wood stories . . . yeah, most mere mortals do not get overly excited to hear about your wood gathering stories or want to see pictures of your woodstove . . . but we are not mere mortals here, we are Woodburning Gods who have mastered fire . . . so keep sharing the tales with us and let the poor minions continue to buy and burn oil and propane while we relish in the sweet heat of our labors. :)

Amen!!!

firefighterjake said:
. . but we are not mere mortals here, we are Woodburning Gods who have mastered fire . . .

Ah....., the essense of who we are here on Hearth.com

One of the reasons this is such a popular gathering spot for all of us 'wood geeks" AKA "masters of fire".
I am lucky to have a wood burning neighbor and a couple of family members with a mild interest in wood and a big interest in scrounging.
A couple of my nephews must have gathered tons of scrap as the local metals dealer sends them a christmas card now.

Status
Not open for further replies.