what a hassle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pict

Sep 1, 2007
oklahoma
Swept my chimney last night, and what a hassle it was!
Had to dismantle the upper baffle/firebricks/air tubes.
Had about a fist size pile of powder come down-that doesn't seem a lot at all.
Does anyone know what the upper baffles are made from? They seem to be pretty fragile and seem to start to crumble easily.
To be honest, I was hoping it would be less hassle than it was.

What kind of stove do you have?
If you are burning seasoned wood in a newer stove and burning it cleanly, you should only need to clean your chimney once or twice each year.

pict said:
Swept my chimney last night, and what a hassle it was!
Try doing it during the day! :coolhmm:

That is exactly why I won`t buy one of those new "things"--Burn too hot. hot hot.l Creeps me out. Listen to the sellers on this forum. Oh, secondry burn is great , just learn how to control it. Maybe I will get banned, but I defey, BeGreen, and Issod, etc. to come look at my older PE insert . I burn nice clean old wood, and you won`t see much smoke coming out of my chimney. Nothing, wrong with the older inserts, if you know how to take care of them, and burn them properly. Example_ why not ask them why I only need my chimney cleaned once per year. And no more than a smqll bucket of cresotea? And why the glsss ii always clean on my glass-even though this is al older PE insert (1985) Yep, see, there is no need to panic. Just lern to burn properly, lots of hot fires-before you kindle down. JUst common sense.. Don`t let these guys give you the guilt trip. Go, outside and see for yourself, burn clean and hot,. Thats. it babyl!!

When you get to know your stove well it will talk to you.

Sonny has sort of the right idea and Pict has a gripe as per cleaning a stove... get use to it Pict if you want to burn 24/7.

Pict.. great idea the first year or two to keep a eye on the chimney... usually the stove and exhaust pipe just needs monthly cleaning..... it will run hotter and cleaner.

We run a smoke dragon... and the other day I saw the chimney cap had a hole in the side of it.... house was built 1976 and OE.... so went up and while removing the cap for repair might as well bring up the brush. The chimney didn't need cleaning but ran it through anyway.

Yesterday ran the stove hot and put the repaired cap back on..... today cleaned the stove... yep.. was giving me signals that it really needed it.

Here are some signals for us:

The cast iron pot on top of the stove doesn't put out billows of steam.

The horizontal pipe leading into the fipple crinkles everyday.... even when burned hot.

We start putting more wood into the stove than is normal.

The radiant heat that is normally felt 12-15' away just isn't there.

Takes longer to get the stove up to full temps.

Pict will get to know his stove and flue..... takes time... he will learn the signals.

We clean our flue a minimum of 3 times a year... needed or not... when the stove signals a cleaning.. yep.. gotta put it on the 'honey do' list.... makes a big difference.

Cat stove or old Smoke Dragon.... like your gas/oil furnace they all need maintenance.... so you gotta do it.

Safe burns,
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.