What a pain in the A$$! (damper removal) pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bfunk13

Minister of Fire
Sep 11, 2008
Wyoming
I spent the better part of the day removing my fireplace damper, back of firebox and smoke shelf.
I started with a 4.5" angle grinder with a cutting wheel, and a sawzall. After an hour of screwing around
i went to my Dads shop and got the torch. I wish i would have started with the torch in the first place.
I dont know about anyone else's experience with this, but man! I cant be contorted like that for any period
of time. I guess 10 years ago i could have done it no problem. Anyways, i got it done thanks to you guys.
I was going to have it installed but after a $1600 quote i started poking around here. It was a groan but
i am glad i did it myself.

Brad

Attachments

• DSC02685.JPG
    DSC02685.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 816
  • DSC02687rr.jpg
    DSC02687rr.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 861
  • DSC02691.JPG
    DSC02691.JPG
    9.9 KB · Views: 798
I did everything but the torch. Then I went and got the hacksaw and shortly I was done. You would not believe how easy a hacksaw cuts through that stuff.

more

Attachments

• DSC02688.JPG
    DSC02688.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 844
  • DSC02689.JPG
    DSC02689.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 782
  • DSC02690.JPG
    DSC02690.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 787
Photos of things that painful aren't allowed here. Rick

BrotherBart said:
I did everything but the torch. Then I went and got the hacksaw and shortly I was done. You would not believe how easy a hacksaw cuts through that stuff.

Yes, and thanks for your original post on this. The sawzall just violently nodded it's head at me, and refused to cut. The hacksaw wasn't instant, but I could actually see my progress.

The sawzall's a wonderful tool. I hope whoever invented it was awarded the Nobel Tool Prize. But, since it cuts on the backstroke, in tough metal you really need a place for that blade-guard/nose-piece plate to find a purchase or else the thing just digs in and reciprocates you instead of the blade. Congratulations on your success so far! Rick

Looks like you got through the worst part. Hopefully it gets a lot more straight forward and easier from here.

I think there is a ruling that you'll need to fix a permanent metal plaque at the back of the fireplace that says this fireplace can no longer be used without an insert, blah blah blah.

I started with the bottom half and found the firebox to be about 1/8" steel.
It cut pretty well with the sawzall. For some reason i was thinking the damper
would be thicker steel. Like maybe 1/4" . Actually it was only 10 gauge or so.
My biggest problem was just holding the saw or torch up and out for any length of time.
The wife thought i lost it when i ran the torch lines through the window.

Thanks again for your help on this.
Brad

Oh come on, in that second pic you look like you're having a lot of fun!! I'm guessing the wife wasn't home. :cheese: OK, maybe it wasn't all fun, but you did get'er done. Nice Job!

karl said:
Im with you fossil a sawsall is one of the best tools you can own.

Well, of course, as with all tools, it depends on what you're needing to accomplish. For watch repair, a sawzall's probably not my tool of choice...but for amputation, now we're talkin'! Good to have a nice assortment of tools at your disposal. :) Rick

Looks like your getting it. It is better to get the PITA stuff out of the way early.
(now to get off topic)

So you like your sawzall?? well you will love this... http://www.rapcoindustries.com/designs.html
Install one of those and you got an answer for most of you cutting needs. ;)

Ok, there is something wrong in this picture. I'm not seeing empty beer cans anywhere. I know that is about a 8-9 beer job for me.......at least!!! :lol:

Damn! i knew i forgot something.
I am sure after today i will be ready to drink.
I am running the liner and hopefully hooking up the stove.

Brad

I'm currently attempting to remove my damper. It is a pain in the a$$. I made two cuts on the back part with a hack saw. Those cuts were only about two inches each at the most and not too much trouble. Now I am trying to cut the front with a hacksaw. This cut will need to be about six inches...I have gone about halfway and the hacksaw can't go any further because of the top of the saw hitting the damper. I tried to come from the back with a cut with the hacksaw to meet the other cut in the middle but the hacksaw make no progress. I tried putting a reciprocating saw on it too and it isn't doing anything either. Maybe I just can't get enough leverage on the saw but I was hoping the blade would do something on its own.
Does anyone know if those small propane torches at Lowes would do the job? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

bfunk13,

Wanna come to my house and do the same job here? My stove is sitting in the garage waiting to be installed........ Beer is available........ ;)

Shari

ponyboync - what kinda blade you using in your Sawz-All? Maybe a blade change would help? Or maybe try a small handheld jig/saber saw?

Or perhaps you just need a BFH?

Hey dawg. I was using 24 teeth and 18 teeth per inch blades. Like I said it made progress from the other directions.
Anyway, I think I may be able to live with it the way it is. Since I was able to get the back of the damper frame cut out I can now prop the back of the damper frame up and towards the front. I can hold it in place with firebricks and stove cement. The opening is about eight inches. Good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.