What a pain!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jhoff310

Oct 7, 2010
Toledo Ohio area
I started gathering wood before I bought my stove this year. I went thru cut split and stacked it all. Then we went out in May and bought a stove. Me- I wanted the biggest baddest stove a going, 24" firebox...my wife on the other hand--She did her own research and had her mind made up on the Tamarack, 16" firebox. Dont get me wrong its a great stove.

I spent all day today tearing apart stacks and remeasuring and cutting the longer pieces down so they would fit in the stove.

After we purchased the stove I made damn sure I cut all new wood to 16" lengths

Jeff

jhoff310 said:
I started gathering wood before I bought my stove this year. I went thru cut split and stacked it all. Then we went out in May and bought a stove. Me- I wanted the biggest baddest stove a going, 24" firebox...my wife on the other hand--She did her own research and had her mind made up on the Tamarack, 16" firebox. Dont get me wrong its a great stove.

I spent all day today tearing apart stacks and remeasuring and cutting the longer pieces down so they would fit in the stove.

After we purchased the stove I made damn sure I cut all new wood to 16" lengths

Jeff

Jeff I started cutting thinking we would sell it (we didn't have a stove) then we decide to have one installed and I ended up cutting some down to load north/south. Most of the wood I bucked up was 16-18 inches.

I buck everything 14.75 so I'm off the glass more then one inch.

zap

I made such a big deal with my wood supplier, about splits "no bigger than 18 inches in length, and probably should have asked for 16 inch lengths (in retrospect) because I can't lay NS in the box. I have to make "X's" with the wood. I love our stove, I really do.......but in hind sight......I would have bought a deeper box!!

Ah well...........in 30 years, perhaps THEN I'll be in the market for another stove!! (pardon me while I go check the fire and see if I need to add more wood...........brb).

-Soupy1957

Our old stove would take over 20" but when we bought the Fireview, it takes 16." What to do? After all, we had a lot of wood on hand. We used a sawbuck and with my wife's help we cut them down to size. Well, not all of them. We gave a bunch of it away which saved us a lot of work. Fortunately some of our wood at that time had been cut by someone else and they cut it short. He was a wood seller and cut some on our place on shares. So, we gave away much of the long stuff and then were fine.

We cut most of them to 16" but a few I think we cut in half.

Status
Not open for further replies.