What a score, I think??? Buy 12 bags of pellet get a free stove!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Whitfield

Feeling the Heat
Feb 1, 2007
Northern Cailfornia
Not to good to be true. Ad on craigslist, 13 bags of pellets 5.00 per bag, when you pick pellets you can also have a england stove works freestanding pellet stove for free. This stove was 4 years old, looks in good condition women said stove runs for 30 min and auger stops. So of course I could not pass up on this deal, . 60.00 dollars 12 bags of pellets ( 1bag was bad) and a free stove. only down side , not self starting...And she gave me the piping too. Would you pick it up for that price???

I give you $60.oo for the stove,as is, & the ss double wall tubing and you can keep the pellets.

fyi one way to test auger motor:

prob is auger motor stop after 30 min, is this becuase motor no longer get run power
or mechamical probs.

take sheet metal panel off back of stove and make drawing of wires to the auger motor. MAKE SURE TO UNPLUG STOVE ,NOW. After u unplug stove , carefully & gently wiggle and pull off conectors to auger motor & hook up vom(volt,ohm,milli amp meter) on at least 120 volt ac scale , or 240 volt ac scale is better.
too low a scale & you pin & bend the needle ,maybe blow out the meter.or buy a digital meter with lcd readout. still need be carefull to select a high enough scale on the meter, to avoid blow out. READ METER USAGE MANUEL.

Buy vom at wal mart, sears,home depot or lowes 10.oo -30.oo
Dont use a light bulb or anything that pulls power, because auger motor supplied from control computer that supplies extreemly limited power(only enough to satisfy the auger motor) & light bulb could blow up computer semiconductor
that supply auger motor if you exceed its current rating. vom safe,it not draw any power.

Make sure motor wires and meter probes are insulated & cant touch any sheet metal and plug in stove & turn it on. vom should indicate 120 vac when the auger moter activates. auger motor
only run 6 seconds ,off 10 seconds ,on 6 second ,off 10 sec so as to feed proper amount of pellets, if auger motor run all the time ,fire pot overflow with pellets. different pellet feed rates vary the run time of the motor as well as the time between run cycles.

so ,you should see the neddle swing to 120vac, stay there a # of seconds ,swing back to 0 , & stay on 0 a # of sec. After 30 minutes of this, you should still see meter swings , indicating the if the motor were plugged in, it would still be getting start and stop signals.

If you do get run and stop signals after 30 minutes,it mean the auger motor is recieving commands , so the auger motor is not working. the motor itself or the pellet transfer mechanics
could bind up with heat from pellets and jam motor from turning.

to test for this,remove the auger motor from the auger feed assembly and make a line cord up
from an extension cord by cutting off the 3 way female about 1 foot back down the cord so that after,you can splice it back on the cord ,insulate with electric tape & still have extension cord, just nor rain proof any more.

get connectors 1/4 in female spade,i think,look the same as what you took off motor that was stove wiring harness at lowes or home depot.

plug in auger motor to 120 vac and run it for 1 hour. If satisfactory opperationafter 1 hr motor ok. If you had run /no run signals from wiring harness in previous test, signal input to mototr ok

problem has to be with auger pellet feed mechanism. try turning the input shaft by hand ,
see if it move easily, smoothly & freely. You think it move easy enough to be powered by weak shaded pole ac induction 1/10th hp motor?

Does auger mech input shaft feel sticky or gritty to turn, binds a little after 1/4 or 1/3 or 3/4 of a revolution.
Then time to take apart auger feed mechanism & look for bad bearing or something jamming the auger on a intermittant basis.

DONT OVERLOOK THE CONDITION OF THE AUGER MOTOR BEARINGS. i have seem electric motors start and run only to lock solid after the bearings have gotten hot.

DO OIL THE AUGER MOTOR BEARINGS ,BOTH FRONT & REAR. they are "oiless bearings"
which means they have never been oiled and are in desperate need of oil.

so called "oiless bearings " is a term salesmen use when they dont want to say they were too
cheap to use ball bearings or put a oil cup on the bronze bearing. This is so they can make a machine cheap so they can make more profit on u. after the warranty, they no care if bearing locks up or wears out eggshaped. your problem ,by then.

oiless bearing are the most common & oiling them will turn a 3 yr lifespan into 40 yrs,
if you do indeed oil them every year.

refer to owners manuel and parts breakdown , download & save(copy) to hard drive folder the stove manuels & parts list from www.englanderstoves.com

Or , go 2 the bank and make a withdrawal from your savings account, because you probably dont have enough in your wallet, and then call factory service. They wont bother to test anything, just install a brand new auger drive mechinism because after all,you are paying,not them & they want 2 charge you more to increase their profits. anyway it takes too much of their $65.oohr time to test stuff. Just guessing about their hourly rate, it could be higher.

If it's one of the Englander stoves, there are several reasons that the top auger may stop running... I've been learning about this myself with my stove. There's a guy on here named Mike from ESW that will hopefully chime in and help you out/correct anything I state that may be incorrect:

My stove has two vacuum switches on it. Yours may have a different config. Basically, one of the switches senses the door - if the door is open, the top auger will stop running. The other switch is off the combustion blower - it makes sure there's air flowing through the exhaust, and if there's not, it'll shut the unit down. It could be that one of those switches is bad, or the port is clogged up, or the hose that connects the switch to the port is clogged up.

Another way to test to see if the motor is getting power - the motor's magnitize when they have power applied to them. Just take a screwdriver and hold the blade on the metal block on the back of the motor (NOT THE ELECTRICAL CONTACTS). You'll feel it if it gets energized.

The ESW website has manuals online for their product, so you should be able to get some help there, as well as this board.

Bargain Alert......

Although I hate to say this, Pellet Stoves (used) don't seem to retain their value as well as wood stoves! At our shop, we used to joke that 10 year old pellet stoves were good "boat anchors"......because a lot of manufacturers went our of biz and parts were not available.

Damn, for that price Uncle Rich wants it.....he fixes 'em up and resells them.

Status
Not open for further replies.