What a score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ggans

Oct 11, 2009
Michigan
Long story short I scored a whole Box Elder tree, It had a trunk four feet across. I made four truck loads to my house, after that the tree service dumped about ten yards of wood chips at my house and then loaded the rest of the wood in there truck and drove that over too.. Not bad for four hours of my time and ten bucks in gas..

To boot there willing to drop a big pine, 20 inch trunk maybe 80 feet tall for $150 ..

Question is how long should this wood dry?

LOL as long as it takes.....PIC's

ggans said:
Whats so funny? I thought I did good,, no?

LOL you done Great! post some pic's if you can?

The "how long will it take to dry" question will undoubtedly persist here forever. Nobody here can tell you the answer. Too many variables involved. What species of wood? Cut dead, or live? Seasoned in the round for a while before splitting? How small do you split it? How do you stack it? What are the conditions (wind, sun, shade, rain, humidity) where you stack it? All I know is that I don't put a piece of wood, regardless of species, into either of my stoves that hasn't seasoned split and stacked out in the open with full sun and wind exposure (in a high, dry desert climate) for at least two years. Git yerself a decent moisture meter and start takin' some readings and comparing what the meter sez to what you see, smell, and feel as you handle the wood. After a while, it'll all begin to become second nature to you in your particular situation. Rick

Here are the pix, I have already used over half of the wood chips..

Attachments

• IMG_4106.jpg
    IMG_4106.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 519
  • IMG_4107.jpg
    IMG_4107.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 508
  • IMG_4108.jpg
    IMG_4108.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 509
  • IMG_4109.jpg
    IMG_4109.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 504
Very Nice Score!

Nice score ggans, what are you doing with woodchips?

zap

That dont look like Box elder?

ggans said:
Really? I would not know I am new to this, It was heavy though..
Box elder has a red streak through it...

ggans said:
This had a red streak through it, not all of it thou..

I think you got norway maple.

I'd call that better than good.

oldspark said:
smokinjay said:
ggans said:
Is that better or worse?

Little better..
If it is Norway maple it is a lot better than box elder.

LOL its darn sure not box elder! he has done much better than he first thought.......

You got a picture of any leaves, it still could be box elder (IMHO) but I agree with smoke it sort of looks like norway maple,

Status
Not open for further replies.